Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RicoP

Problem with Dimension and Datamodel

Hello,

I've been trying to get a sensible data model and calculations for weeks. I've been working with PQ for 2 years, but I can't get it right. The following scenario: I have several dimensions that build on one another hierarchically. This creates so many combinations that these test lines alone with 11 lines become 71 lines.

Screenshot 2023-06-10 140223.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-10 140552.jpg

In the real data, however, there are an incredible number of combinations in Cat C/D/E, so that this ultimately results in a few GB in the data model.
So I have to manage to keep the data as small as possible and still be able to link the categories with each other, since pivot tables with slicers are ultimately required. Ultimately, I want to measure what percentage of the categories fall into which other categories.

Screenshot 2023-06-10 141935.jpg

I've tried synthetic keys and many others - I can't do anything because of the 1:N relationship in Excel Power Query. I really need help here.

Thanks for the help.
Rico

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

CatB (Sex) is independent, you can normalize that out.  For the other categories can you guarantee that each element only appears once in the hierarchy tree? Or are there duplicates?

Hello,

Thanks for the answer 🙂 Well, category A can have different items from category C (see line 3 and 4 in the screenshot). These, in turn, are different items from category D and E. Basically, the individual items result from E + D + C = A. However, there should be no duplicates per line (line 8). These will then be deleted. And yes, actually it's like a family tree where category a is the root and then it branches further down. It is then counted how many items from the lower nodes lead to which node above it.

So I despair because the amount of combinations then becomes 1000 (A) x 1-2 lines (C) x 1-10 lines (D) x 1-10 lines (E) with about 1000 lines. Quite apart from the fact that I can't connect the dimensions because there is no 1:n connection. So: Questions over questions.....

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors