Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

geschinger
Regular Visitor

PowerBI Desktop Get Data from SP - invalid CRLF characters

I am trying to Get Data from an on-prem version of SharePoint 2013 and while I do seem to authenticate ok, I'm getting stuck with the following error:

Unexpected error:  Specified value has invalid CRLF characters

PowerBI-SP.png

To try and determine whether or not it was related to the content of the list, I created a new basic list and I get the same error.  I haven't been able to find much online and was hoping someone might have some ideas what types of things can cause this error  that would help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Greg

18 REPLIES 18
Zarg
Regular Visitor

Hi, 

I managed to fix this problem by going to Data Source settings, then edit permissions, then edit, then sign in as different user.
I just logged back under my account and it solved all the problems.

Hope that helps someone.

Worked for me too! Thank you so much! 

This is work for me

niwrejim

Hello,

I am also experiencing the same issue? Any updates?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jimmy

Same issue. Anyone find a solution without using IWA?

kolback

Same problem. Trying to query a survey in SharePoint 2013 on-prem using Excel 2016 and my organization account.

NorbertM

I'm facing the same issue. Did someone manage to resolve the error?

jwork
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I'm running into this exact issue - on prem sharepoint and organizational account.

Was this ever resolved for you? Any tips?

mahimabedi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Facing the same issue :(, any fix?

curth
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

When we've seen this error in the past, it's because the server has put invalid characters into a cookie. The .NET web stack strictly enforces the RFCs governing legal cookie characters, and not all servers are compliant. If you'd like to confirm this as the problem, you could "send a frown" and attach a Fiddler trace.

Thank you.  I tried this and captured a fiddler trace to a frown sent in yesterday.  I'm hoping that might lead to a solution as I couldn't find anything in the trace that jumped out at me but I can't say that I really know what to specifically look for.

Hi,

did you ever solve that issue? I'm getting the same error message now and I have no clue how to fix it...

Thanks,

Thomas

jwork
Frequent Visitor

I am having this same issue with on premises sharepoint using an organizational account login. 

Was this ever resolved?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

When you say basic list, are you referring to a list with a Title field only?

A while ago, there was an issue with having column names in a list that started with a number and it messed up access to the entire site from Power BI. Perhaps something like this is going on or perhaps your site name is weird.

You might try creating an entirely new site or even site column, put a list with only a Title field and see if that works. If it does, perhaps it is something similar to the above issue I cited.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes, I created a brand new list - title field only.  The site name is odd and unfortunately I do not have the ability to set one up with any other format.  It's a generated site name in the format of WS_###### where ###### is a unique number.

Have you heard of any issues with sites with an underscore in the name?

One other thing I noticed is that when I get the CRLF error there is no attempt being made to connect to SharePoint.  I'm running Fiddler filtered for more SharePoint host.  I see traffice on the authentication to the point where authentication to SP is successful but nothing after that.

When I am on the dialog - Unable to Connect - "Specified value has invalid CRLF characters.  Parameter name: value" if I click Retry, I get the connecting...  dialog followed by the error again.  During this time no requests submitted to the SharePoint site.

I created a site called WS_123456 with a custom list called "MyList" and it worked fine in Power BI desktop connecting with Windows credentials to an on-premises SharePoint 2013 server. Running 64-bit Power BI Desktop.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The one difference between your test and my scenario is I have to connect via ADFS.  I select Organizational Account as the login type and it works.  The dialog states:  You are currently signed in.

The error comes after that so I didn't think it was authentication related but honestly I have no idea what / where to even look to troubleshoot it further as when I run fiddler I don't see any evidence of anything happening over the network trying to connect to the SP server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors