I am trying to Get Data from an on-prem version of SharePoint 2013 and while I do seem to authenticate ok, I'm getting stuck with the following error:
Unexpected error: Specified value has invalid CRLF characters
To try and determine whether or not it was related to the content of the list, I created a new basic list and I get the same error. I haven't been able to find much online and was hoping someone might have some ideas what types of things can cause this error that would help or point me in the right direction.
I managed to fix this problem by going to Data Source settings, then edit permissions, then edit, then sign in as different user.
I just logged back under my account and it solved all the problems.
Hope that helps someone.
When we've seen this error in the past, it's because the server has put invalid characters into a cookie. The .NET web stack strictly enforces the RFCs governing legal cookie characters, and not all servers are compliant. If you'd like to confirm this as the problem, you could "send a frown" and attach a Fiddler trace.
Thank you. I tried this and captured a fiddler trace to a frown sent in yesterday. I'm hoping that might lead to a solution as I couldn't find anything in the trace that jumped out at me but I can't say that I really know what to specifically look for.
When you say basic list, are you referring to a list with a Title field only?
A while ago, there was an issue with having column names in a list that started with a number and it messed up access to the entire site from Power BI. Perhaps something like this is going on or perhaps your site name is weird.
You might try creating an entirely new site or even site column, put a list with only a Title field and see if that works. If it does, perhaps it is something similar to the above issue I cited.
Yes, I created a brand new list - title field only. The site name is odd and unfortunately I do not have the ability to set one up with any other format. It's a generated site name in the format of WS_###### where ###### is a unique number.
Have you heard of any issues with sites with an underscore in the name?
One other thing I noticed is that when I get the CRLF error there is no attempt being made to connect to SharePoint. I'm running Fiddler filtered for more SharePoint host. I see traffice on the authentication to the point where authentication to SP is successful but nothing after that.
When I am on the dialog - Unable to Connect - "Specified value has invalid CRLF characters. Parameter name: value" if I click Retry, I get the connecting... dialog followed by the error again. During this time no requests submitted to the SharePoint site.
I created a site called WS_123456 with a custom list called "MyList" and it worked fine in Power BI desktop connecting with Windows credentials to an on-premises SharePoint 2013 server. Running 64-bit Power BI Desktop.
The one difference between your test and my scenario is I have to connect via ADFS. I select Organizational Account as the login type and it works. The dialog states: You are currently signed in.
The error comes after that so I didn't think it was authentication related but honestly I have no idea what / where to even look to troubleshoot it further as when I run fiddler I don't see any evidence of anything happening over the network trying to connect to the SP server.
Check out the November 2023 Power BI update to learn about new features.
Read the latest Fabric Community announcements, including updates on Power BI, Synapse, Data Factory and Data Activator.
130+ sessions, 130+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI and Fabric. Attend online or watch the recordings.