Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jamesc69

Power BI in digital signage

We have a need to display Power BI dashboards within a business that can cycle through different reports.  We have looked at various digital signage solutions but each one of them falls down with not being able to authenticate with Power BI.  I see that it is on the roadmap to publish power bi dashboards to sharepoint, but is there any known solution for being able to display Power BI dashboards in a signage solution?

41 REPLIES 41
vdkaaij

We have good experiences with Marketing in Beeld Digital Signage.

It's secure (via API), easy to use and comes along with a lot of other interesting digital signage features. 

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, 

Fantastic question! At Valotalive we help show Power BI dashboards and reports on any TV or info screen securely without making URLs public. We're a registered partner in the Microsoft Partner Network and use Microsoft Azure AD Authentication to ensure your reports and data are safe. 

It's very easy to get started and you can read more about our solution, as well as, sign up for a trial here: https://www.valota.live/apps/power-bi-digital-signage/

Happy to help if you have any questions regarding our service. 

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, 

Fantastic question! At Valotalive we help show Power BI dashboards and reports on any TV or info screen securely without making URLs public. We're a registered partner in the Microsoft Partner Network and use Microsoft Azure AD Authentication to ensure your reports and data are safe. 

It's very easy to get started and you can read more about our solution, as well as, sign up for a trial here: https://www.valota.live/apps/power-bi-digital-signage/

StevenValota

Hey, 

SashaGav

I will add to the answers, maybe it will be useful to someone:
Look Digital Signage has added the Power Bi app to its service.
You can find an article announcement about Power Bi in Look Digital Signage here.
You can set how often the content will be updated on the screen, even every second. It's real-time, secure, and easy to use.
There is a free 14-day trial, you can try it now.

mirabyte

Anyone who might be interested in a solution where no (!) explicit user credentials need to be stored on the digital signage player might want to have a look at the FrontFace software that has an optional Power BI plugin which uses the “Embed for your customers” approach based on a non-interactive service principal for authentication. This approach is very secure and the software itself is a Windows-based on-premises software (no SaaS) - so it’s well suited for users that are focused on security, reliability and also data protection.

Both FrontFace (digital signage and kiosk software) and the Power BI plugin are available as free trial version so you can try out everything. A detailed manual on how to set up the Power BI integration is included with the plugin.  

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hey everyone,

I've been contributing to this need since 2018, all the way back when I was maintaining a free Chrome extension to do this for the community.

Anyways, all these years later, and I discovered that the Power BI community still has a huge need for this, and no one ever seems to do it right. So here's my solution: it's called Displagent, you can find it here: https://www.displagent.io

I have built a cross-platform desktop app dedicated ONLY FOR POWER BI. I don't have a general TV signage software that I'm offering, mine is exclusively built for Power BI alone.

Ultimately, you'll have to be the judge of what solution seems best to you, but here's a few reasons why I've got the best one on the market:

• As I said, my entire software is built only for Power BI; it's not a general TV signage software.
  • My app is a desktop app that runs on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. In particular, Displagent can support Raspberry Pis - very popular with manufacturers.
  • My app has the best form of authentication you could ask for. Displagent requires you to have a Power BI service account and create an Azure App Registration, and then enter these credentials in the app.
    • But, since it's a desktop app that you download, it stores the credentials on your machines.
    • The credentials never go anywhere into the app's backend, and I don't store your access tokens or refresh tokens anywhere in my backend either.
    • Displagent also don't store your access tokens or refresh tokens in the browser - that has plenty of security vulnerabilities in and of itself.
    • And since you register an Azure App Registration for mine, you don't have to worry about "re-authenticating" or periodically logging back in to keep the connections good; Azure App Registrations are by far the best, least-painful way to go about this.
    • All of these credentials are stored on your machine, and for further security, Displagent uses your machine's operation system to encrypt the credentials file for added security (this is why it's offered as a desktop app).
  • You can make report slideshows, dashboard slideshows, and compound slideshows (any combo of the first two types).
  • For report slideshows:
    • Displagent supports report pages (tabs) as well as report bookmarks (no one else does this).
    • You can give each item a custom ordering (tab 1, then tab 6, then bookmark 3, then tab 2, and so on...).
    • You can give each item a custom duration (tab 1 for 15 seconds, tab 6 for 120 seconds, and so on...).
    • You can assign the slideshow a refresh interval of up to every 15 seconds if you would like.
      • Mine is highly optimized for real-time or near real-time needs; very popular with manufacturing companies.
  • Import Mode, Direct Query, Streaming datasets supported
    • This is because Displagent uses the Power BI JavaScript SDK.
  • Very affordable pricing, not charged per device/TV.

I've got many other awesome features on the way. Drop your email on my website or let me know if you're interested at daniel@displagent.io.

DMiradakis
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hey everyone,

I'm not late to this thread because I've been contributing to this need since 2018, all the way back when I was maintaing a free Chrome extension to do this for the community.

Anyways, all these years later, and I discovered that the Power BI community still has a huge need for this, and no one ever seems to do it right. So here's my solution: it's called Displagent, you can find it here: https://www.displagent.io

I have built a cross-platform desktop app dedicated ONLY FOR POWER BI. I don't have a general TV signage software that I'm offering, mine is exclusively built for Power BI alone.

Ultimately, you'll have to be the judge of what solution seems best to you, but here's a few reasons why I've got the best one on the market:

• As I said, my entire software is built only for Power BI; it's not a general TV signage software.
  • My app is a desktop app that runs on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. In particular, Displagent can support Raspberry Pis - very popular with manufacturers.
  • My app has the best form of authentication you could ask for. Displagent requires you to have a Power BI service account and create an Azure App Registration, and then enter these credentials in the app.
    • But, since it's a desktop app that you download, it stores the credentials on your machines.
    • The credentials never go anywhere into the app's backend, and I don't store your access tokens or refresh tokens anywhere in my backend either.
    • Displagent also don't store your access tokens or refresh tokens in the browser - that has plenty of security vulnerabilities in and of itself.
    • And since you register an Azure App Registration for mine, you don't have to worry about "re-authenticating" or periodically logging back in to keep the connections good; Azure App Registrations are by far the best, least-painful way to go about this.
    • All of these credentials are stored on your machine, and for further security, Displagent uses your machine's operation system to encrypt the credentials file for added security (this is why it's offered as a desktop app).
  • You can make report slideshows, dashboard slideshows, and compound slideshows (any combo of the first two types).
  • For report slideshows:
    • Displagent supports report pages (tabs) as well as report bookmarks (no one else does this).
    • You can give each item a custom ordering (tab 1, then tab 6, then bookmark 3, then tab 2, and so on...).
    • You can give each item a custom duration (tab 1 for 15 seconds, tab 6 for 120 seconds, and so on...).
    • You can assign the slideshow a refresh interval of up to every 15 seconds if you would like.
      • Mine is highly optimized for real-time or near real-time needs; very popular with manufacturing companies.
  • Import Mode, Direct Query, Streaming datasets supported
    • This is because Displagent uses the Power BI JavaScript SDK.
  • Very affordable pricing, not charged per device/TV.

I've got many other awesome features on the way. Drop your email on my website or let me know if you're interested at daniel@displagent.io.

Thanks!

ocandy

Very late to reply, but Sabercom's digital signage solutions can rotate though different PowerBI reports.  You can set the duration for how long each report is displayed.  The reports can be full screen or can form part of the screen design with your company branding and other internal communications information. 

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I know this reply is coming late for the original inquiry, but just dropping in to answer for any new & future Power BI users who are struggling to get their reports on digital signage screens... 

Fugo offers a pretty simple solution for this via a TV Dashboards feature. It works by recording your authentication steps (then reproducing & storing them) securely in AWS secrets manager. It takes a snapshot of your selected reports & sends them to your screen(s) at the interval you prefer. It works with 2fa as well. You can read or watch a guide to see how it works. 

Authentication can be tricky, and lots of digital signage solutions out there are accessing & loading reports onto players directly, which can crash the less expensive/powerful players. 

Fugo works differently by handling everything in the Cloud, which also means you can run your digital signage set up on cheaper plug & play devices without worrying about crashing them with power-hungry queries & reports. 

It's free to test for 2 weeks & free demos are available to book as well.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi,

I hope we are not late to the party.

Displaying Power Bi on your office digital signage is a great way to share your dashboards and improve workplace efficiency and productivity.

You can display Power Bi dashboards using Fugo TV Dashboards, even if your dashboards are behind modern authentication like SSO and MFA.

Unlike other solutions, Fugo TV Dashboards will never expose your BI Dashboard access credentials to screen devices and players, instead it accesses them from a fully secure and isolated cloud environment and captures snapshots of your dashboards to display on your screens.

Fugo TV Dashboards is hardware agnostic, so you can run it using on any digital signage platform including low cost hardware like amazon fire TV stick or r-pi as all your data is managed centrally and securely in the cloud.

Lastly, you can select exactly what section of your dashboard you want to show using our handy screen capture tool. Or even pull data from multiple sources and dashboards by splitting up your screen in our Fugo Design Studio. Or create an embedded channel for your team so they can view your dashboards in Notion, Slack, or on your internal website. Fugo TV Dashboard is reliable, stable, and secure.You can learn more about our feature following the link below:https://www.fugo.ai/en/articles/5842212-how-to-share-a-ms-power-bi-dashboard-to-your-digital-signage...

If you have any questions or need help setting up do not hesitate to get in touch us at hello@fugo.ai

A_kh

From what I know, Valotalive digital signage software is one of the most advanced ones in the market, e.g.

• Microsoft registered partner; has secure integration with Azure AD authentication (so no public URLs are needed at any stage of the process so your shared data is safe and not accessible by anyone outside the company)
  • You can set it to automatically cycle through different reports or dashboards, choose to show specific content more or less often, etc. 
  • You can share content from any workspace you have access to and not just from the ones you own
  • Valotalive provides additional flexible filters for showing specific tabs, reports, or pages only
  • You can show up to four different reports, dashboards, or report pages on the screen at the same time
  • There are also interactive reports – You can explore your Power BI dashboards directly on the digital signage display which can be pretty handy

Here's how to set it up (it's really easy to do in just a few minutes, and you can simply try it with your laptop for free before displaying anything on the info screen): https://valota.live/apps/power-bi-digital-signage/

Hope this helps someone looking for this information!

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Digital Signage software, embed signage has secure integration with Microsoft Power BI.

You can see the documentation and video on how to set it up here: https://support.embedsignage.com/en/articles/4884352-how-to-display-a-microsoft-power-bi-dashboard-o...

Users of embed signage are able to link a Power BI Pro or Premium account and then using the Power BI widget, choose from the available Workspaces (inc My Workspace) to show Dashboards and Reports onto their screens.

The integration is completely private and secure. Embed Signage is Microsoft Publisher Verified and the integration uses short-life encryption tokens to validate access.

The Power BI widget in embed signage also supports touch meaning users can show complex Reports and Dashboards on to touch devices and interact with them.

embedsignage
Regular Visitor

Digital Signage software, Embed Signage has secure integration with Microsoft Power BI.

Take a closer look here: https://embedsignage.com/features/widgets/power-bi/ 

Users of Embed Signage are able to link a Power BI Pro or Premium account and then using the Power BI widget, choose from the available Workspaces to show Dashboards and Reports onto their screens.

The integration is completely private and secure. Embed Signage is Microsoft Publisher Verified and the integration uses short-life encryption tokens to validate access.

The Power BI widget in Embed Signage also supports touch meaning users can show complex Reports and Dashboards on to touch devices and interact with them.

Kaijus
Regular Visitor

Hi!

A great question. We have developed secure Microsoft Power BI Dashboards app for Digital Signage or Info Screens. It is very easy to authenticate your MS Power BI with Valotalive. Please see this link for further information i.e a video of how easy it is to authenticate and activate your app. Happy to help with further information.

m_malmgren

Hi, we are about to relese an update to Display Monkey that would enable you to show Power BI tiles and reports. Display Monkey is an web based open source digital signage solution on the windows platform. 

m_malmgren

Hi, we are about to relese an update to Display Monkey that would enable you to show Power BI tiles and reports. Display Monkey is an web based open source digital signage solution on the windows platform. 

Robb

I am working with Power BI. I am testing to see of our software will work with Power BI.

You may want to try Noventri Digital Signage.  www.noventri.com    You can get the software for free to test. The software can authenticate some services.  Maybe it will work for you. 

jameslo30
Advocate III
Advocate III

It widely depends on what you want to show on your signage.

Is PowerBI the only service you want to show on your display?

We have multiple screens setup in our office and they are all connected up to one PC (Windows 10) via a splitter. You can have PowerBI open up on Google Chrome with an automatic refresh on a timer (Chrome Plugin: Auto Refresh) with a program called "AutoIT AnalogX AutoTab - http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/System/autotab/Freeware.htm" that switches windows open on your desktop on a timer.

You can also make PowerBI open reports in a "Windowless scheme" by adding ?Chromeless=1 at the end of your URL.

In my experiance, I've never found decent Digital Signage software that does what we want it to. We have always used a "Windows" solution.

I would like you to test our Digital Signage solution with Power BI.

We already use it with many clients in Brazil.

www.dsplay.tv

Works with android.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors