Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Benjamin96

Power BI & Cherwell Auto Logoff

Hello,

i need your help I am successfully using the data connector between Power BI and Cherwell. Among other things, I will be live dating for my company.

Unfortunately, I have to realize that I have to log in to PowerBI again and again after about 1-2 hours (Cherwell Login) Of course, this makes an automatic live data evaluation impossible. Has anyone of you experienced it? I can't find any proper attitude in Cherwell that prevents this from happening either. Maybe there is a trick here.

Screenshot 2023-04-26 142141.png

The goal would simply be a permanent data update (according to a schedule) WITHOUT having to log in again and again to establish a connection to the database.

Thanks very much

4 REPLIES 4
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

I have experienced and resolved this issue for my company in the past.

For context, our instance of cherwell is hosted via a SAAS solution, so if yours is hosted internally, some of these steps may not be relevant to you.

1. Setting up a data gateway was always going to be last resort for me as well. To avoid this, I ended up hosting the Power BI reports on powerbi.com instead of the internal report server.
  2. We found that the token would expire instantly if I used the same account for day to day Cherwell activities as in refreshing Cherwell data in Power BI. So I organized a separate active directory account to be created with a mailbox and granted it relevant Cherwell access.
  3. We found that Microsoft Cloud App Security would interfere with using this account on powerbi.com so had to work with our security team to sort that out. 
  4. Finally, we found that the token expiry had to be longer than the refresh interval of the data.

With all of this in place, I have had auto-refreshing data from Cherwell with minimal issues for about a year now.

I hope this helps.

Matthew

Benjamin96

That sounds interesting,

I just had a look myself and saw that the client token I find in the REST API Client was only valid for 20 minutes. I have now increased this value once. Unfortunately, the gateway would be the last card I would have to draw, since the security structure in my company would have to implement this first.

I wonder why there are so few posts on this topic, even though it should apply to everyone who uses Power BI and Cherwell to make "live" data evaluations.

Thank you!

No problem.

You should be able to code a Client Token refresh request into your API connection query, so this is requested before passing it again with the main request body. Have a look on the forum of how to do this generically (not Cherwell-specific) and you should find plenty of ideas and code examples to help you get this working.

You could also build your own connector to handle this how you want, but that's not for the faint of heart!

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Benjamin96 ,

It sounds like you need to set up an on-prem gateway (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem ) and add your custom connector to the gateway machine as well.

Once you've done that, the credentials timeout will be irrelevant as your gateway will provide them to the source each time it wants to refresh your dataset in the Service.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors