Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cgardyne
Helper I
Helper I

OneDrive file data refresh + Import + Sql Azure Database

Hi there,

I have a pbix file that has been created in Power Bi Desktop, stored in OneDrive and uses Import to get data from an Azure Sql Database.

We then import the pbix file into Power Bi Web as a data set and run our reports against the data.

The obvious problem is that when you use import its just a snapshot of the data.

How can I schedule/automate a refresh of the data so that the pbix file can pick it up? Other than the manual approach of opening the file in Desktop and refreshing the data, saving to OneDrive, wait for data to propagate to Web.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cgardyne,

According to your description, you create a report in desktop connect to Azure SQL database in Import mode, and store this report in OneDrive. Then you get the .PBIX  file in Power BI service from OneDrive, and you want to keep the data updated, right?

In your scenairo, you need to go to dataset, set the credential connects to Azure SQL database same as which used in .PBIX, then you can create a schedule refresh or OneDrive refresh to keep the dataset updated like below:

a1.PNG

Reference:
Refresh a dataset created from a Power BI Desktop file on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cgardyne,

According to your description, you create a report in desktop connect to Azure SQL database in Import mode, and store this report in OneDrive. Then you get the .PBIX  file in Power BI service from OneDrive, and you want to keep the data updated, right?

In your scenairo, you need to go to dataset, set the credential connects to Azure SQL database same as which used in .PBIX, then you can create a schedule refresh or OneDrive refresh to keep the dataset updated like below:

a1.PNG

Reference:
Refresh a dataset created from a Power BI Desktop file on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors