Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andershh
Advocate I
Advocate I

On Premises Gateway utilizing many Oracle database connections (PBIEgwService)

Hi everyone

My workplace's IT department has been seeing a critical problem with the way our Power BI On-Premises Gateway connects to our Oracle database.

The problem is that it uses many connections, which it doesn't let go of - meaning that the number of active connections keep rising until the database can't handle anymore. 

From the database we have been seeing the following:

OSUSER                         ACTIVE_CONN_COUNT

------------------------------ -----------------

PBIEgwService                                  1948

I.e. the Power BI gateway service has been using 1948 connections, which is many times higher what our other business critical database connections use.

We have been using Power BI and the On-Premises Gateway since August 2016, and this is the first time we have been seeing this problem. We have approximately 10 reports which refresh their data once per day and we have about 5 DirectQuery reports with 2 users having the reports open all day and 3-6 users regularly checking them during a work day. Could this scenario really be generating 1948 active connections?

Or could the problem be that the Power BI On-Premises Gateway does not close the database connections it uses?

Many thanks beforehand!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @andershh,

In order for gateway to flush out its connections, you would need to periodically run a similar script suggested by brendan_w in the following thread to restart gateway.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Possible-BUG-Power-BI-Personal-Gateway-D...

Replace GWConfig.exe with EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe in the script that brendan_w provides , and the EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe locates in C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
romgut
Advocate III
Advocate III

Is there a solution meanwhile?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @andershh,

In order for gateway to flush out its connections, you would need to periodically run a similar script suggested by brendan_w in the following thread to restart gateway.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Possible-BUG-Power-BI-Personal-Gateway-D...

Replace GWConfig.exe with EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe in the script that brendan_w provides , and the EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe locates in C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I'm experiencing the same issue and think this solution may be able to help also.  However, the last line of the batch file will start the Gateway Config program which launches a dialog box that asks you to sign in and register the gateway.  If I want to schedule this batch job to run nightly, how do I avoid this?  I can't be logging into the server every day to click through the dialog boxes.

Thanks in advance!

- Ira

I did the search and found that this DEFECT has been discussed in this forum since 2015, any permanent fixing or solution ?  Also the forum was closed with solved status which is not, it just the interim to restart or kill the process.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors