Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ODBC extract inside Remote Desktop through a secured gateway

Hello Everyone,

The subject must be very vauge. So to give you an over view : 

- I have my powerBI file on my local computer

- for me to get the raw data for my powerbi, I have to login to a secure gateway to launch a remote desktop to access the company that we parter with

- inside the remote desktop I have to run ODBC to extract data (excel) from their data warehouse

- I then upload the file (100mb per month of data) through our partner's cloud service so that I can send it locally

- we are trying to publish my work in the near future one this is automated

Question is :

- do you think there is a way for me to automate the extract without me getting in the remote desktop?

- I dont have an option to get powerbi inside the remote desktop as they only allow us to have 500mb of storage to work on

I would highly appreciate the response on this as I am the only person working on this project and started learning excel along with powerbi last September. Please ask more questions so that I can clarify. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Tough to answer specfically. If this is a setup like I think it is, then they will need to install and configure a Power BI gateway on their network. Then, when you publish the file to their Power BI tenant you could setup auto-refresh. I've had to work in very similar environments before, login to a jump box, do the extract, upload to a web site, download from website, load into Power BI. Incredibly painful and costs everyone time and money in the long run for scant amounts of additional security, if any. Security folks, what are you going to do? If they could prevent everyone from doing anything within a system they would. If a system is completely unuseable, I suppose it's entirely safe.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Tough to answer specfically. If this is a setup like I think it is, then they will need to install and configure a Power BI gateway on their network. Then, when you publish the file to their Power BI tenant you could setup auto-refresh. I've had to work in very similar environments before, login to a jump box, do the extract, upload to a web site, download from website, load into Power BI. Incredibly painful and costs everyone time and money in the long run for scant amounts of additional security, if any. Security folks, what are you going to do? If they could prevent everyone from doing anything within a system they would. If a system is completely unuseable, I suppose it's entirely safe.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors