Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Novec
Regular Visitor

Need some help Excel dat is not Refreshed to Power BI

Hi,

I created a Power BI file using a single Excel file in Sharepoint as a data source (Get Data -> Sharepoint folder -> Excel file (.Xlsm)). The Excel file has the query uploaded as data model. The Excelfile and the .pbix are in the same SharePoint library.

Now if I manually open the Excel files and  save the changes. 
After an hour the Power Bi should be refreshed automaticly. But nothing is happening. 

Did a second setup with the same result.

Excel File and Power BI are connected as I check the query. 

I deleted the gateway that was installed earlier, no result.

I'm desperate after trying for 3 days now. Is there a log somer where that can explain where the refresh fails? 

It's OK for me if somebody can help by looking on my laptop. (Teamviewer or Skype for Business)

Regards

Steven from the Netherlands

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Novec,

Do you use "OneDrive Refresh" in Power BI Service? If you want to make OneDrive hourly refresh work after making changes to the Excel file, you would need to directly connect to the Excel file stored on SharePoint Online folder from Power BI Service rather from Power BI Desktop.

However, if you connect to the PBIX file via "Get Data->Files->SharePoint Team Sites" entry in Power BI Service, when you add new measures, change column names, or edit visualizations in Power BI Desktop file, once you save, those changes will be updated in Power BI , usually within about an hour. When you make changes in the Excel file, you can only manually refresh the dataset by using Refresh now or set up a refresh schedule by using Schedule Refresh. For more details, please review this article.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Novec,

Do you use "OneDrive Refresh" in Power BI Service? If you want to make OneDrive hourly refresh work after making changes to the Excel file, you would need to directly connect to the Excel file stored on SharePoint Online folder from Power BI Service rather from Power BI Desktop.

However, if you connect to the PBIX file via "Get Data->Files->SharePoint Team Sites" entry in Power BI Service, when you add new measures, change column names, or edit visualizations in Power BI Desktop file, once you save, those changes will be updated in Power BI , usually within about an hour. When you make changes in the Excel file, you can only manually refresh the dataset by using Refresh now or set up a refresh schedule by using Schedule Refresh. For more details, please review this article.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors