Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NomisNajou
Frequent Visitor

Merge 2 Columns and create new lines

Hello,

I didn't find anything that answered my question so I'm asking it myself !

I have something that look like this :

NomisNajou_0-1678364676521.png

And I would like to make it looking like this :

NomisNajou_1-1678364698354.png

It's frustrating because I feel like it's really easy but I couldn't manage to make it work...

Thank you for your help and have a great day !!

NB1 : Moste the "Country 2" lines are empty and displayed ass "null" but I still want to have one single column in the end with all the datas !

NB2 : I have nearly 15 different columns of data that would be multiplied if this information changes something...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
NomisNajou
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I finnaly managed to make it work. The thing was to select both country columns and Unpivot these 2 ! 🙂

Thank you for your help 

View solution in original post

Yes, that works great. 
Another method:

VishalJhaveri_0-1678786348865.pngVishalJhaveri_1-1678786367830.pngVishalJhaveri_2-1678786378312.pngVishalJhaveri_3-1678786389666.pngVishalJhaveri_4-1678786398718.png

Please try this below query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCk4uSi1XMFTSUXJOzEtMSQQyQoMdlWJ1gFIFmXkpOakKhgpwWQWYdCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Product = _t, Country1 = _t, Country2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product", type text}, {"Country1", type text}, {"Country2", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each [Country1] & ";" & [Country2]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Country1", "Country2"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(#"Removed Columns", {{"Custom", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(";", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Custom"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Custom", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Thank you.

If my answer helps you, please mark it as solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NomisNajou
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I finnaly managed to make it work. The thing was to select both country columns and Unpivot these 2 ! 🙂

Thank you for your help 

Yes, that works great. 
Another method:

VishalJhaveri_0-1678786348865.pngVishalJhaveri_1-1678786367830.pngVishalJhaveri_2-1678786378312.pngVishalJhaveri_3-1678786389666.pngVishalJhaveri_4-1678786398718.png

Please try this below query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCk4uSi1XMFTSUXJOzEtMSQQyQoMdlWJ1gFIFmXkpOakKhgpwWQWYdCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Product = _t, Country1 = _t, Country2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product", type text}, {"Country1", type text}, {"Country2", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each [Country1] & ";" & [Country2]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Country1", "Country2"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(#"Removed Columns", {{"Custom", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(";", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Custom"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Custom", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Thank you.

If my answer helps you, please mark it as solution.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You can select the first column-> right-click and Unpivot other columns.

The way the desired table is presented (above) is going to lose the detail from the column headings (country1 or country2).  Maybe that's important to you, maybe not.

The rest of your columns will get unpivoted too and that's maybe what you want or it's going to cause chaos.

Let me know if you get stuck.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors