Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ZLJ
Advocate II
Advocate II

Installing / Upgrading Data Gateway but not getting option to Migrate

We have been advised to upgrade the Data Gateway (Enterprise) every month, after our 6m old gateway died on us last month, so this is our first month of doing so.

I've been following the instructions on https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

However i'm not sure if it has completed successfully!

After running the Installer and being asked to Sign In, it does not proceed to give us the option to migrate / restore / takeover.  I'm using a different account to do this than i did last time, although both are admins on the existing gateway.

Provided the account you are using is an Administrator on the existing Gateway, does it just complete the upgrade automatically?  Or could it be that the version has not changed since we last did it? (I havent been able to find a version history of the data gateway online).  Do I need to restart the Gateway?  (It didnt due the usual microsoft warning of saying it was still running before it could go ahead).

Does anyone know how i can check if the Gateway has definately been upgraded successfully?  I can see the current version in Control Panel is 1.15.6170.1.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ZLJ,

You have upgraded the gateway successfully.

I test the scenario as yours, when I use same account or different account to update the existing gateway, the gateway installer will not give us the option to migrate/restore/takeover. However, we are able to use the registered gateway and we don’t need to restart the gateway. In my scenario, the current version of on-premises gateway is 1.15.6170.1.

In addition, if you uninstall the old gateway and then install the latest version of gateway, you will be provided the option that Migrate, restore or takeover an existing gateway.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ZLJ,

You have upgraded the gateway successfully.

I test the scenario as yours, when I use same account or different account to update the existing gateway, the gateway installer will not give us the option to migrate/restore/takeover. However, we are able to use the registered gateway and we don’t need to restart the gateway. In my scenario, the current version of on-premises gateway is 1.15.6170.1.

In addition, if you uninstall the old gateway and then install the latest version of gateway, you will be provided the option that Migrate, restore or takeover an existing gateway.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank-you for taking the time to test it for me @v-yuezhe-msft.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors