Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Lucian
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

How to find which OData version I'm using?

Hello,

As Microsoft anounced "OData v2.0 Service removal date announcement", is there any way to detect which OData version I'm currently using in my Power BI reports so I will not have problems after April 30, 2023?

Kind Regads,

Lucian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Lucian Well this is the email I received below. In re-reading this about 12 times. I *think* that the Instance Web API is the Web API, an OData 4.0 service that they mention. So safe *probably*? 

As previously announced in our blog post, on Sunday, April 30, 2023, we plan to remove the Organization Data Service, an OData v2.0 endpoint that was introduced with Dynamics CRM 2011. This service was also known as the OData endpoint or the REST endpoint when it was released, and offers limited capabilities to only create, retrieve, update, or delete table data. This service was deprecated with the introduction of Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement v8.0 in favor of the Web API, an OData v4.0 service.

Note: This announcement does not involve the deprecated Organization Service SOAP endpoint. At this time, no date has been announced for the removal of that endpoint.

How does this affect me?
As we plan to remove the Organization Data Service on Sunday, April 30, 2023, you may experience functionality failures of any code utilizing this service. To avoid interruptions of service functionality, we recommend that any code that uses the Organization Data Service should be migrated to use the Web API before that time.

What actions do I need to take?
To avoid impact to your code, please use one of the following methods:
  1. Use the Solution Checker to detect any JavaScript web resource code. The rule web-avoid-crm2011-service-odata should detect use in client-side code.
  2. Check any other code, including PowerShell scripts, that send requests to this endpoint: xrmservices/2011/organizationdata.svc
  3. Check any Power BI reports or Excel Data sources that may be using this endpoint.
  4. Please review the information in the best practices documentation for information to upgrade the code to use the Dataverse Web API: Do not use the OData v2.0 endpoint.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Lucian
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

So, we cross the fingers and hope will all work after April 30, 2023 🤞😜

Lucian
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @lkay @Greg_Deckler 

Well, I don't think that post means that OData connector will be removed for good and we have to change it with the Dataverse connector. Unfortunately the lack of information, especially related to Power BI, just create more confusion.

Just to be more confusing, checking the screen posted by @lkay in the previous post, I have observed under the "Service Root URL" the link for "Download OData Metadata", and this link is as follows: https://companyname.crm4.dynamics.com/Tools/SystemCustomization/WsdlProgramming/download.aspx?file=O...

The last part make me think that I'm using already the OData V4.0, but is this way to check the proper version?

Kind Regards,

Lucian

@Lucian Well this is the email I received below. In re-reading this about 12 times. I *think* that the Instance Web API is the Web API, an OData 4.0 service that they mention. So safe *probably*? 

As previously announced in our blog post, on Sunday, April 30, 2023, we plan to remove the Organization Data Service, an OData v2.0 endpoint that was introduced with Dynamics CRM 2011. This service was also known as the OData endpoint or the REST endpoint when it was released, and offers limited capabilities to only create, retrieve, update, or delete table data. This service was deprecated with the introduction of Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement v8.0 in favor of the Web API, an OData v4.0 service.

Note: This announcement does not involve the deprecated Organization Service SOAP endpoint. At this time, no date has been announced for the removal of that endpoint.

How does this affect me?
As we plan to remove the Organization Data Service on Sunday, April 30, 2023, you may experience functionality failures of any code utilizing this service. To avoid interruptions of service functionality, we recommend that any code that uses the Organization Data Service should be migrated to use the Web API before that time.

What actions do I need to take?
To avoid impact to your code, please use one of the following methods:
  1. Use the Solution Checker to detect any JavaScript web resource code. The rule web-avoid-crm2011-service-odata should detect use in client-side code.
  2. Check any other code, including PowerShell scripts, that send requests to this endpoint: xrmservices/2011/organizationdata.svc
  3. Check any Power BI reports or Excel Data sources that may be using this endpoint.
  4. Please review the information in the best practices documentation for information to upgrade the code to use the Dataverse Web API: Do not use the OData v2.0 endpoint.

Latest book!:

lkay
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @Lucian - I also had the same question this morning. 

@Greg_Deckler do you mind kindly elaborating on what you mean by "source systems for what version of OData they support".

In the past, this is how I connected powerbi to CRM data:

lkay_0-1678718880185.png

Then fetching the instance Web API link from Customizations --> Developer Resources --> Instance Web API:

lkay_4-1678719029849.png

and then I pasted here:

lkay_3-1678719014872.png

Echoing the question that was posted: any way to detect which OData version I'm currently using in my Power BI reports ?

thank you!

@lkay @Lucian My understanding according to the email that was sent out is that OData endpoint is going away completely and you need to convert these to use the Dataverse connector. So if you are using the Dynamics 365 Online (legacy) connector you will have to change it. It's not that there is some other OData version of that endpoint that you can use. Sorry, the whole version of OData thing threw me off.

My understanding is that the Dataverse connector uses OData 4.0.

Latest book!:

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Lucian Fairly certain you would have to check your source systems for what version of OData they support.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors