Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BEN501

How to Expand automatically in columns, (lists + records) in different levels

Hello, 

I would like to expend in one time automatically all lists and records of the Database. Is there any function that allows to do that please ? We are used to adding data and colums on our database and each time we have to expend the columns manually in power Query and so it starts to be painful. So i would like to use a function that's expends all columns il records and list in one click.

Here's a look of the Data from the source in Power BI  : 

BEN501_0-1670502812565.png

Now, we have to access to issues records, so the next look is : 

BEN501_1-1670502916107.png

After, we have to develop issues fileds : that contains simple columns, lists and records :

BEN501_2-1670503103858.png

Theses new fields must also been developped.

If we do it manually , we have like 20 steps of developping the diffrents fields !!  It a huge waste of time! And every time, when we charge other data, we have to do it from scrath ! 

Would you held please to find a solution for this !

Thank you very much

Best Regards

3 REPLIES 3
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

This should be doable but it is a little tricky. If it was all nested records, it is easier. When you expand your data, how do you handle Lists? do you expand to new rows? or just extract the values? Also, do the lists include more records and lists?

Is your data coming in as JSON? Can you share some example/mock data?

Pat

Microsoft Employee

@ppm1 Hey thank you for the reply !

Iam working on it since yesterday, and it seems very difficult ! 

can you implement the solution if you think it's doable ?

Every time, i use the expand icon, to extract all the values but it takes really a lot of time to do because of records and lists nesting !

I can't share the data because it cames directly from Jira via a connection, so i don't really have a file !

Thank you in advance for your help

Making/finding a test data set would take time I'm not sure I'll have. Was hoping you could modify a few rows of your input JSON data so it could be shared. Also, you didn't answer the questions around how you handle lists while expanding the data (expand vs. extract, and do they include nested lists/records).

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors