Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abhilashca
Advocate I
Advocate I

How do I do Power BI & Microsoft Planner integration for project status and data visualization?

I have a desktop licensed version of Power BI and I track my (and my team) projects in Planner. Is there any way I can connect the Planner with Power BI to get a better reporting? I tried connecting through SQL server and I am not sure what is the Server name and Port number? Thanks in advance for your answers.

7 REPLIES 7
takolota
Frequent Visitor

@abhilashca @alelima @edhans @Anonymous @v-yuezhe-msft 

If you're starting new projects or willing to move existing projects, then you could also avoid several Planner issues like this & use something like this SharePoint Project Management template with kanbans, GANTTs, workload visuals, auto notifications, etc:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Cookbook/Project-Tracker-SharePoint-and-Teams/td-p/1788102

alelima
Regular Visitor

Same problem on 09/21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue or demand in 07/2020. Is there any progress? How to connect planner with PowerBi to generate reports?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@abhilashca,

There is no built-in connector for Microsoft Planner in Power BI, an idea about this issue has been submitted in this link, please vote it up.

As a workaround for this issue, you can use Microsoft Flow to propagate your Planner information to other data source such as SharePoint, then use Power BI to create report by connecting to  the data source. There are blogs for your reference.

Microsoft Planner: Considerations for Reporting–Part 2
Microsoft Planner: Considerations for Reporting–Part 3

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any progress here? Its July 2020 now and I still want to connect planner to PowerBI. Please advise how to proceede.

Nothing free or native, but there are third party solutions, like this one. I've not tested this so not endorsing it, just suggesting you investigate for your needs.

I too would love a native data connector for Planner, but as of mid-2020, nothing available.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
abhilashca
Advocate I
Advocate I

I keep my planner updated with all projects done by me and my team. I would like to get a better view of this project status and updates using Power BI. Please let me know how can I connect the O365 Planner to Power BI. I tried connecting the data through SQL server (not sure if that is a way to do), however, I was unsure about the Server name and Port number. Please help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors