Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I connect Web using self-signed certificate and username/password authenticate

Hi,

how can I configure a connection to a website, which uses a self-signed certificate and username/password authentication. I do trust the self-signed certificate and the website. ( all Selfsigned Certificate has no revocations, therefor nothing to turn off.)

If it is possibel to connect/test it with M-Language, instead of trying on every wrong locations in the PowerBI?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm afraid that currently Power BI doesn't support to authenticate with self-signed certificates. You can vote up the following ideas regarding the similar requirements:

Microsoft Idea  · Client certificate authentication option in Power Query

Microsoft Idea  · Support TLS client cert based authentication

Or you can try exporting your self-signed certificate and importing it into the 'Trusted Root Certificate Authorities' store on your computer. I haven't tested this method so I'm not sure whether it is working. Here is the link: How to export your self-signed appliance SSL certificate to use with Excel or Power BI 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thank you for your reply.

>Or you can try exporting your self-signed certificate and importing it into the 'Trusted Root Certificate >Authorities' store on your computer. 

Of cause I've done this at first. But PowerBI's web connection steal not funtion. Therefor I ask, why and why not, and if in M-Language there is a method to create a webconnection/accept selfsigned certificate or don't care any about "security", if someone/procedure else do take care before and/or during the session.

Maybe I don't know PowerBI well, but I can't image that PowerBI cannot resolve such problem by default! PowerBI transforms data begin or based on some session, which will be build with some connector, secure or not, selfsigned or not... The main problem is: I need the data, I trust the website and the connection proteced using selfsigned certificate is good enough for such cases.

I hope, some one can give me a solution for such cases.

Thanks

Yue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors