Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anske
Frequent Visitor

Group by on Redshift Data Source Table causes great many active sessions (connection limit exceeded)

Hi,

I have a fairly simple report loading 10 tables from a single Redshift Datasource, I never had any troubles so far, until today when I duplicated one of the queries and performed a Group By step in the Edit Queries view.  Now it gives the following error 

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [53300] [Microsoft][Amazon Redshift] (10) Error occurred while trying to connect: [SQLState 53300] FATAL: connection limit "498" exceeded for non-superusers.

Being a superuser myself, I checked open connections for the power bi user in the stl_connection_log, and low and behold, there's over 400 open connections, starting at the time I added the group by to the stept, a couple of connections starting up per second for this special pbi user I've made (and yes, I'm completely sure no one else and no other reports are querying the datasource with this user), ranging over a couple minutes (so from 12:45:55 to 12:48:14). 

How do all these connections get created?? Are there any known issues creating this behaviour, or is it not a power bi issue at all? I'm in import mode, not in direct query mode, by the way. 

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anske 

If you use direct query, it is unsupported to transform data like "group by".

Also, please check if you use any unsupported data types:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/c_Supported_data_types.html

If error still occurs, please create a support ticket for further analysis.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Maggie, 

as I remarked in my initial question, I'm NOT using direct query.

Cheers, 

Anske.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I've seen certain operations in Power Query against certain data sources cause problems. You could check the Issues forum and see if it is mentioned and if there is a solution. https://aka.ms/PBI_Comm_Issues

Also, you could use a work-a-round by using DAX SUMMARIZE or SUMMARIZECOLUMNS to create a new table in your data model.

@Anske 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors