Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

xelan79
Regular Visitor

Formating a column in Percentage does get applyed in data model

Dear community,

I changed the data type of some columns to "Percentage" in Query Editor. After refreshing all values show up correct in the Query Editor. But after applying the changes in data model only decimal number are shown what effects my reports. Does somebody have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Regards
Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @xelan79 

My understanding is that the data storage type and the data visualization type cannot be completely consistent.

For example, in power query there are duration, date/time/time zone, percentage type, which is not in power bi, but power bi can format the data as the above type.

vangzhengmsft_1-1638439040312.png

If you do not format the data, power bi needs to select a data type for the data first, with percentage as decimal, date /time/time zone as date, duration as decimal, etc.
When you convert the data to percentage type in power query, but power bi can only treat it as a decimal, then you can format the data as a percentage to display the data.

To make it easier to understand

vangzhengmsft_0-1638438928246.png

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @xelan79 

If you need to format the data as a percentage, you can do it as you mentioned. You don't need to format the data in power query first. What you do is the right operation.😁

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @xelan79 

My understanding is that the data storage type and the data visualization type cannot be completely consistent.

For example, in power query there are duration, date/time/time zone, percentage type, which is not in power bi, but power bi can format the data as the above type.

vangzhengmsft_1-1638439040312.png

If you do not format the data, power bi needs to select a data type for the data first, with percentage as decimal, date /time/time zone as date, duration as decimal, etc.
When you convert the data to percentage type in power query, but power bi can only treat it as a decimal, then you can format the data as a percentage to display the data.

To make it easier to understand

vangzhengmsft_0-1638438928246.png

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

HI Team Zeon Zheng,

thanks for your advice. But I still noch understand, why I should format the data to percentage in the Query Editor. In my case it would be sufficient to format the value as decimal in the Query Editor and format the column to percentage for the report view in the data model. But I can live this solution. CU

xelan79
Regular Visitor

Hi, thanks for your message. I thought formatting once in the Query Editor sholud be enough and do not understand why I have to this twice. Actuall I do not the formating in the Query Editor

0,2 is a perfectly fine way to display 20%. The decimal format is used in any math done inside power bi. To show it as 20% is thus just a "visual" format.

Please mark the problem as solved if it works now. 

Gabriel_Walkman
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Select you percentage column, then go from the top ribbon Column tools > Format: Percentage

I warmly recommend some basic Power BI tutorials, in example MS Learning Paths

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors