Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eager_to_learn2
Frequent Visitor

Filter Based on Parameter Taking a Long Time to Process and large model size being generated.

Hi folks,

I have a query that is referencing a table in Excel, full file size of workbook is only 1mb. The table itself is only 1800 rows of data and 29 columns. I am having 2 issues and I think they are interelated which is why I have grouped them together:

1. Firstly I have a filter based on a parameter to filter a date coulmn and it takes a long time (about 45mins) to process when I refresh or change the data.eager_to_learn2_1-1678969035514.png
  2. When some of the other steps are carried out power query loads a model of of 15GB from my initial source of 1mb. I do have 6 merged tables (2 columns for each merge) based from the inital data source (Excel table) merged back on to this query, could this be causing the excessive model size being loaded back into power query? 

eager_to_learn2_2-1678969635348.png

Hopefully this makes sense. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks very much,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Use the Power Query Diagnostics. That will help you identify the real culprit.  My money is on the Table.Nestedjoin step.  Generally you do not want to do any joins in Power Query. let the data model do the work for you.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Use the Power Query Diagnostics. That will help you identify the real culprit.  My money is on the Table.Nestedjoin step.  Generally you do not want to do any joins in Power Query. let the data model do the work for you.

Hi Ibendlin, I accepted this as the sloution as it helped reaffirm my suspciouns. It was the couple of joins that seem to be the biggest culprits as suggested. I carried out the transformations in a different way rather than using joins and it has sped up the query. Thanks for your time!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors