Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ercc026

Extract only numbers of x digits from a column containing letters and symbols

Good afternoon community.
In a column I have texts, numbers and symbols. I try to extract only 4 digit numbers and separate them into rows but I can't achieve it
I tried using the formula List.Select(Text.Split(Text.Select([DATES],{"0".."9","-"}),"-"),(x)=>Text.Length ( x)=4) in power query. It extracts numbers from certain digits and I have the option to split it into rows. The result is the same as this image that I attached, it duplicates the value of the DATES column but the value of the "desired extraction" column changes. However, when reviewing the values I realize that some numbers are correct and others are not, and in some cases it fails to extract numbers (knowing that there are 4 digit numbers in the cell) showing it as null. I do not understand why.
I appreciate any help you can provide me. This has me crazy.

Captura2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ercc026,

In that case let's use a splitter this one splits text into a list of texts at each whitespace.

List.Select( List.Transform( Splitter.SplitTextByWhitespace()( [DATES] ), each try Number.From( Text.Select(_, {"0".."9"})) otherwise null ), (x)=> Text.Length(Text.From( x)) =4 )

Ps. If this helps solve your query please mark this post as Solution, thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PBI_SG
Regular Visitor

That works perfectly - thanks a ton @m_dekorte!

m_dekorte
Super User
Super User

Hi @ercc026 

Give something like this a go

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("VcwxCsAgFAPQq4Q/Fgf9aq2UQs/gat3qXAqC1+8Xp74MIUtypvsH1gfGsUeLR+Ai9P6OMoYZKeGUuLCx1pqKytRaHfoEwzZ6q1AnyGC/ysEMFgEnqJQP", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [DATES = _t]),
    AddExtraction = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Extraction", each List.Select( List.Transform( Text.Split( [DATES], " "), each try Number.From(_) otherwise null ), (x)=> Text.Length(Text.From( x)) =4 )),
    ExpandValues = Table.ExpandListColumn(AddExtraction, "Extraction")
in
    ExpandValues

with this result

m_dekorte_0-1684612989201.png

Note you'll have to see if there can be a punctuation at the end of a 4 length number, if so you'll need to deal with that as well. A possibility can be to include Text.Select - as shown here: 

List.Select( List.Transform( Text.Split( [DATES], " "), each try Number.From( Text.Select(_, {"0".."9"})) otherwise null ), (x)=> Text.Length(Text.From( x)) =4 )

The second function served me better. But I realized that 4-digit numbers with a space towards another line and followed by a consecutive number, does not extract it. Rows with this type of problem are marked in yellow. Will the function have to be modified to fix this?

@m_dekorte  Thank you very much for the help.

rows marked with extraction failurerows marked with extraction failureFunction usedFunction used

Hi @ercc026,

In that case let's use a splitter this one splits text into a list of texts at each whitespace.

List.Select( List.Transform( Splitter.SplitTextByWhitespace()( [DATES] ), each try Number.From( Text.Select(_, {"0".."9"})) otherwise null ), (x)=> Text.Length(Text.From( x)) =4 )

Heya @m_dekorte,

Great solution, and it works for me most of the time. It doesnt work for me where there are leading 0s in my number within the text string. 

For example, the string "Lorem ipsum 0124 dolor sit amet 9567" returns only 9567 and not 0124. Could you please assist with modifying your second function to take this scenario into consideration?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @PBI_SG 

Losing the "0" is due to the conversion to number, give this a go instead

m_dekorte_0-1698089351549.png

I hope this is helpful

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors