Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FrankKrogh
Helper I
Helper I

Expression results in Applied Steps in Power Query does not seem to comply with M script execution

I have written a M script to run a dynamic SQL query using parameters on a Direct Query. The script is based on this tutorial example (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-dynamic-m-query-parameters).

The M script works fine with parameter input from the slicers, and the generated dynamic SQL query return data correctly to the table visual. However, some results of the M script expressions in the Applied Steps in Power Query does not seem to comply with actual result/execution of the M script. The same goes for the dynamic part of the generated final SQL query expression. It seems to me that only the single-select and boolean value result of expressions are shown, but not the multiple-select value results (shown only as a double quote (''). 

It may be a logic explanation that I have missed here but it would indeed be helpful for unexperienced script editors like me to have a complete documentation of the results from M script expressions as a debugging assistance in the Power Query Editor.

Power Query - results from Applied Steps expressions.png

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your M code looks a little convoluted. You can simplify that.

Passing Any Arbitrary Value From A Power BI Report To A Dynamic M Parameter (crossjoin.co.uk)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors