cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrankKrogh
Regular Visitor

Expression results in Applied Steps in Power Query does not seem to comply with M script execution

I have written a M script to run a dynamic SQL query using parameters on a Direct Query. The script is based on this tutorial example (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-dynamic-m-query-parameters).

The M script works fine with parameter input from the slicers, and the generated dynamic SQL query return data correctly to the table visual. However, some results of the M script expressions in the Applied Steps in Power Query does not seem to comply with actual result/execution of the M script. The same goes for the dynamic part of the generated final SQL query expression. It seems to me that only the single-select and boolean value result of expressions are shown, but not the multiple-select value results (shown only as a double quote (''). 

It may be a logic explanation that I have missed here but it would indeed be helpful for unexperienced script editors like me to have a complete documentation of the results from M script expressions as a debugging assistance in the Power Query Editor.

Power Query - results from Applied Steps expressions.png

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your M code looks a little convoluted. You can simplify that.

Passing Any Arbitrary Value From A Power BI Report To A Dynamic M Parameter (crossjoin.co.uk)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exciting changes

Power BI Community Changes

Check out the changes to the Power BI Community announced at Build.

May 2023 update

Power BI May 2023 Update

Find out more about the May 2023 update.

Kudo Data Story carousel

Data Stories Gallery

Visit our Data Stories Gallery and give kudos to your favorite Data Stories.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors