Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Poova
Frequent Visitor

Excel DataSource doesn't load completely

Hi,

Power BI beginner here. 

I am creating a dashboard with multiple excel sources . The excel file currently has 300k+ rows !! (I recommended not to use excel for storing data but the end user needs to validate data in excel and to store in a different location)

I tried loading this file into Power Query and only 173k+ rows are loading. I don't see any errors in the transformation steps either. Any reason why this could be happening? 

2 REPLIES 2
Poova
Frequent Visitor

I checked on the file and no blank rows in between and no defined table / range as well. It is actually an output file from Alteryx where new rows of data are appended to the existing sheet. Also I tried automated workflow to save it as csv file and there were no issues. Solved my problem for now, but i am still curious to understand as to why there is problem in loading the file in .xlsx format

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Poova ,

I would check the following:

- Ensure there are no completely blank rows in the Excel dataset. A break in contiguous data will prevent Power Query from seeing it as a single set of data.

- If your data is formatted as a 'proper' table, ensure that the bounds of the table reach right to the end of your dataset.

- If it's not formatted as a 'proper' table, then format it as such. Then try importing to Power Query using the named table reference, rather than the sheet name.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors