Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

charlottebail3y
Regular Visitor

Error: The column '' of the table wasn't found.

Hi, 

I am replacing the source of my SQL table with a SQL view that contains all of the same columns. Power BI is erroring saying that columns are missing. 

These missing columns are table structured columns - not present in the SQL table itself. 

How do I connect my new view whilst retaining the table structured columns?

Thanks!

Charlotte 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

My understanding is that those structured columns you see in Power Query are generated based on the primary key and foreign key relationships that exist on the SQL server. If you connect to a view, you lose them since a view is basically just a query rather than an actual table.

I don't think there's a way to retain those structured columns but you can still do the necessary joins to get what you need more manually rather than relying on the query editor to automatically detect them.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

My understanding is that those structured columns you see in Power Query are generated based on the primary key and foreign key relationships that exist on the SQL server. If you connect to a view, you lose them since a view is basically just a query rather than an actual table.

I don't think there's a way to retain those structured columns but you can still do the necessary joins to get what you need more manually rather than relying on the query editor to automatically detect them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors