Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vikas_Singh
Frequent Visitor

Date time formatting for more than 24 hour

Hi,

I have date time format [h]:mm:ss in excel file. When I import that file it automatically convert to 01/01/1900 05:28:10 AM rather than showing the same format I have in excel. I belive this is because in excel I converted custom format to "[h]:mm:ss" but in Power BI custom format for [h] for more than 24 hour is not supported or available.
I want to ask this question from genious here, Do we have any other option to import over 24 h:mm:ss format for e.g 50:24:20 in power query editor.
In the end I need seconds but I am not sure if I cannot split hour:minute:second into correct format how it will be possible.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Excel stores durations as days and fractions of a day. You can set the cell format to show hours:minutes:seconds.fractions_of_seconds. However, you cannot change what you see in the formula bar if the cell is formatted as [h]:mm:ss.000

In Power Query, hours > 24 will be shown as Days in the duration typed column.

In Power BI, duration will be shown as a decimal number.

Neither will show the [h]:mm:ss format you can see in an Excel cell.

If that is an absolute requirement, you could construct a text string, I suppose.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Vikas_Singh
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @Greg_Deckler , I converted this to duration but issue is duration can only show up to 24 hour time if I have more than 24 hours in h:mm:ss format it gives me the incorrect hour duration. Would there be any other alternative to convert into second in excel or somewhere else. as in excel it also show me the date time format when I double click on cell in excel.

Excel stores durations as days and fractions of a day. You can set the cell format to show hours:minutes:seconds.fractions_of_seconds. However, you cannot change what you see in the formula bar if the cell is formatted as [h]:mm:ss.000

In Power Query, hours > 24 will be shown as Days in the duration typed column.

In Power BI, duration will be shown as a decimal number.

Neither will show the [h]:mm:ss format you can see in an Excel cell.

If that is an absolute requirement, you could construct a text string, I suppose.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Vikas_Singh Try converting it to a duration column.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors