Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Taxman

Create a column with results based on multiple rows per a grouping ID

This is fairly simple in Excel, which I have more experience with, but I want to make it work in Power Query (using the interface or M code).

I have a dataset with multiple products in Col A.  Each product can have any number of rows (hence multiple instances of the product ID).  I have a column that says "FOUND" or "NOT FOUND" for each and every row.  I want to create a new column that says "FOUND" on all rows for a given product if ANY of the rows in Col B say "FOUND."  Conversely, I want that new column to say "NOT FOUND" if ALL rows of Col B, for any given product, say "NOT FOUND"

Product ID (Col A)FOUND (Col B)DESIRED COLUMN
111FOUNDFOUND
111NOT FOUNDFOUND
111NOT FOUNDFOUND
222NOT FOUNDNOT FOUND
222NOT FOUNDNOT FOUND
333FOUNDFOUND
333NOT FOUNDFOUND
333FOUNDFOUND
333NOT FOUNDFOUND

I first attempted to Group by the Product ID and I attempted various permutations of trying two grouping levels with Products and the "FOUND" column, without any success.  I thought that I might be able to group by product with a column that counts the number of "FOUND" results per Product (which would at least tell me that any product that has "0" is a "NOT FOUND").  However, I couldn't get there and maybe my entire approach was wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. Just for reference, the Excel formula to do this similar thing is: =IF(COUNTIFS(A:A,A2,B:B,"FOUND")>0,"FOUND","NOT FOUND")

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

=let a=Table.Group(PreviousStepName,"Product ID",{"n",each if List.Contains([FOUND],"FOUND") then "FOUND" else "NOT FOUND"}) in Table.AddColumn(PreviousStepName,"NewCol",each a{[Product ID=[Product ID]]}[n])

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

each a{[Product ID=[Product ID]]}[n]

works like the Excel function of VLOOKUP

it gets the value from "a", which product id equals to the product id of current row.

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

=let a=Table.Group(PreviousStepName,"Product ID",{"n",each if List.Contains([FOUND],"FOUND") then "FOUND" else "NOT FOUND"}) in Table.AddColumn(PreviousStepName,"NewCol",each a{[Product ID=[Product ID]]}[n])

Wow, thank you!  This did work!  I will definitely mark this as the answer, but before I do, can I ask if you happen to know if what this code does is doable just using the interface (without using M)?  I'm sure this further betrays my lack of experience with PQ.  I kept wanting to do somehting akin "For Each" Grouped ID.  Is that what is happening in your code at the "each a" part?

Thank you so much, once agian.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors