Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

davidbrown

Connecting to multi-tenant database on Azure

I would like to integrate Power BI into my multi-tenant accounting application which is running on MS Azure. 

Wondering what, if anything, Power BI does to help me isolate one client account from another. 

How do I use Power BI on Azure without running afoul of my Row Level Security?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @davidbrown,

According to your description, you want to display Power BI reports in multi-tenant application, and the dataset sued by reports has RLS settings. When users access application, different users only see their own data, right?

Based on my research, Power BI Embedded supports datasets configured with RLS. In your scenario, you can try to use Power BI Embedded to achieve your requirement. For more information, please refer to links below:

How to use Power BI Embedded with REST

Row level security with Power BI Embedded

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @davidbrown,

According to your description, you want to display Power BI reports in multi-tenant application, and the dataset sued by reports has RLS settings. When users access application, different users only see their own data, right?

Based on my research, Power BI Embedded supports datasets configured with RLS. In your scenario, you can try to use Power BI Embedded to achieve your requirement. For more information, please refer to links below:

How to use Power BI Embedded with REST

Row level security with Power BI Embedded

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the reply. I understand that EMBEDDED is the flavor of MS Power BI that supports RLS. That is good news for my web app that is running multi-tenant on MS Azure.

Now my developers are telling me another problem is that Power BI Embedded does not support sharding so we may have to look for a different solution.

Is this true?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors