Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

likensj
Frequent Visitor

Connecting Power BI Desktop to access web data-Which one do I use?

Again probably a really simple question,

We recently began migrating several excel files into access web and I have turned on the read/write capabilities to access the database, however when I try to connect-it will not allow the connection. I am totally new to almost all of this, so forgive the newby questions. First do I need to have a seperate subscritpion to Azure to access the data that is created by Sharepoint? Second, am I using the right connection option. Here is the error message that I am getting. Any help is appreciated. ThanksPowerbi Error.JPG

4 REPLIES 4

@likensj I'm slightly confused, as either there is a product called access web (that I can't find) or you are trying to connect to an Azure SQL Database (which I read in the error).. If it is the Azure SQL DB, I believe you need to specifically grant permission to the IP of your computer to access the Database. (This is done in Azure). Here is the documentation I found.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

It is microsoft access web app deployed on Sharepoint 365, according to documentation the backend is a SQL database on Azure. Does that help?

@likensj Yeah. It helps me know I won't be the best resource to assist 🙂  My intiial guess is that you will need to access this via SharePoint or something else. Unless this is a different scenerio, you most likely don't have access to the database. I relate this to my experiance with CRM online - do they use Azure SQL on the backend? - yes, do I have access directly to the database? No. I have to use CRM connector, or pull it down behind the scene's using a 3rd party tool. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Well thank you anyways-That was what I was wondering. According to the access documentation I can connect to these data sets. I am honestly learning as I am going so-Perhaps someone else can shed some light on the subject. -Thanks again. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors