Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Cathryn
Helper III
Helper III

Connect to Datasets in PowerBI via SSMS

Hi everyone

I just saw a webinar that showed SQL Server management studio connected to a PowerBI dataset using an API.  I can't find any documentation on how to do this.

Does anyone have a link that they could share?

Thank you

Cathryn

3 REPLIES 3
cyrjulien

Hi @Cathryn 

It's possible to connect directly to your Power BI Premium Workspace using SSMS.

Here the documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-connect-tools.

Enjoy

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Cathryn,

Are you looking for the following blog? You are able to connect to Power BI data model from SSMS as Power BI Desktop starts a SQL Server Analysis Services processes in the background, you are actually connecting to a tabular instance from SSMS.

http://blogs.adatis.co.uk/simonwhiteley/post/PowerBI-Optimisation-1-Connecting-Via-Management-Studio

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft 

Is it possible to connect to a Power BI dataset that's in the online service rather than locally via Power BI Desktop?

I have datasets in a premium capacity in the cloud and I'm trying to figure out how to access them via SSMS similar to how I can directly connect to pbiazure:// as an OLAP connection via Power BI Desktop or Excel.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors