Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JohnLow
Helper I
Helper I

Cannot convert a value of type Record to type Text.

Hi,

I'm currently trying to extract values from a list column, called data.custom_fields which has 9 records. However I'm getting the following error message:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Record to type Text.

Details:
Value=
compulsory_on_complete=FALSE
name=Staff Member
value=
value_id=
type=choice
id=1
visible_to_staff_only=TRUE
Type=[Type]

My M Code is as follows:

2023-05-30_09h25_50.png

2023-05-30_09h25_50.png

Any help, much appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JohnLow ,

Please refer to the following steps, hope it helps.

vcgaomsft_0-1685608879522.png

vcgaomsft_1-1685608897242.png

let
    Source = #table({"aa","bb"},{{1,{1,2,3}},{2,{33,44}}}),
    Custom1 = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{"bb", each Record.FromList(_,{"1"..Text.From(List.Count(_))})}),
    #"Expanded bb" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(Custom1, "bb", {"1", "2", "3"}, {"1", "2", "3"})
in
    #"Expanded bb"

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

The Text.Combine function in your last step expects a list an the input, but it looks like you have expanded a list of records. You should be able to expand that column of [Record] values. Have you tried that (instead of using Text.Combine)?

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Yes, but if I expand this, it give me 9 rows for each record and I would like 9 columns instead. Just not sure how to do that.

New_ad_find.png

Hi @JohnLow ,

Please refer to the following steps, hope it helps.

vcgaomsft_0-1685608879522.png

vcgaomsft_1-1685608897242.png

let
    Source = #table({"aa","bb"},{{1,{1,2,3}},{2,{33,44}}}),
    Custom1 = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{"bb", each Record.FromList(_,{"1"..Text.From(List.Count(_))})}),
    #"Expanded bb" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(Custom1, "bb", {"1", "2", "3"}, {"1", "2", "3"})
in
    #"Expanded bb"

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors