Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

asifnazir
Regular Visitor

Can we connect OneDrive file to existing published dashboard?

Hi, We have created a Power BI dashboard from an MS Excel file using BI Desktop and published on a workspace on PowerBi web app. Dataset also published with that. Now we want to use auto-refresh using one drive. Do we need to created all dashboard again on workspace using IE. Or we can connect Onedrive file to existing published dashboard?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

The file you published to the service, are you able to refresh that file?  I've noticed you've added to the complexity by creating a 2nd project in the service using "Get Data".

My expectation is that you have a single project, whose only data sources are in your one drive.  You publish that project and set that project to refresh.

So, ignoring your second project, can you confirm that your original file only has data sources on your one drive?  You can check this in the data source settings, which will give you a concise list of all of your data sources in that project.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

To refresh using OneDrive, you would need to make the files contained on OneDrive the data sources in your project.  Based on your description it sounds like you started in the Power BI desktop.  What you will need to do is open that project again through your Power BI Desktop and change your data source lines on each of your queries to reference your OneDrive version of your files.

When you publish, if all of your data sources are from One Drive, you will now have the ability to  "Connect Directly"

Still facing Auto-Refresh Issue. I placed the Excel file on OneDrive, Opened the PBIX file in BI desktop and changed data source lines on each of your queries to reference your OneDrive version, then saved PBIX file on OneDrive as well and published using desktop. Connected that workspace to OneDrive through "Get Data". But now we have two data sources over there and still it is not getting data refresh from OneDrive Excel file. Any suggestions please ..... ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The file you published to the service, are you able to refresh that file?  I've noticed you've added to the complexity by creating a 2nd project in the service using "Get Data".

My expectation is that you have a single project, whose only data sources are in your one drive.  You publish that project and set that project to refresh.

So, ignoring your second project, can you confirm that your original file only has data sources on your one drive?  You can check this in the data source settings, which will give you a concise list of all of your data sources in that project.

Thanks a lot Buddy, It is working now 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors