Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpanet

Can't load excel file in Power BI Web.

I followed the steps on how to create a data set fromj an Excel file with no success.

I tried different tabular Excel files to load, I get a message says importing file , however that message quickly disappear and nothing get loaded nor get changed in my workspace

I can publish power bi file from Desktop app, but the web version seems to have a bug not allowing me to load Excel from my local pc or even from one drive.

2 REPLIES 2
WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi - is the data in your workbook marked as a table? Or in the Excel data model? Those are the best ways to get Power BI to detect the data. You could also try uploading the workbook to OneDrive first and connecting from there.

There are details here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-from-excel-to-stunning-report/

Let us know how you get on.

Will

iraskop
Frequent Visitor

Same problem. Creating a table works (also got it to work as a CSV). But why does one have to create a table? That's an extra step and I am used to microsoft products knowing from the data when a worksheet is formed as a table, or how to find the contiguous region.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors