Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Einomi
Resolver II
Resolver II

Access.Database and Web.Contents on Macs

Hi,

Any expert on Power Query for macOS there ? 😉

I have an Access database in my Dropbox pro folder and I would like to to be able to work on it on my Mac when I am at home.

So to connect the Access database to PQ without a local path, I can manage through Web.Contents() I can also manage to have it on another PC since this is not locally dependent on my PC at work

However, I hav tried to use Web.Contents() in my Mac, I do see the file but I cannot drill down to the table as I cannot use the module Access.Database

Any help, lead or workaround would be greatly appreciated 

Capture d’écran 2023-08-06 à 3.41.04 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Einomi ,

There is no native version of Microsoft Access for Mac, so you will need to use some alternative methods to access and edit your database files. One option is to use a virtualization software like Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion that allows you to run Windows on your Mac and install Access there. This way, you can access your Dropbox pro folder and work on your database as if you were using a Windows PC.

Another option is to use a third-party app that can open and edit Access files on Mac. There are several apps available on the Mac App Store or online that can do this, such as Access Database Manager, MDB ACCDB Viewer, or MDB Explorer. However, these apps may have some limitations in terms of functionality, compatibility, and performance compared to Access. You may also need to convert your database file to a different format, such as SQLite or CSV, before you can use it with these apps.

Reference: How to run Microsoft Access on a Mac - Parallels Blog

7 Ways To Open Microsoft Access Files on Mac (machow2.com)

How to port an Access database to the Mac? - Super User

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Einomi ,

There is no native version of Microsoft Access for Mac, so you will need to use some alternative methods to access and edit your database files. One option is to use a virtualization software like Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion that allows you to run Windows on your Mac and install Access there. This way, you can access your Dropbox pro folder and work on your database as if you were using a Windows PC.

Another option is to use a third-party app that can open and edit Access files on Mac. There are several apps available on the Mac App Store or online that can do this, such as Access Database Manager, MDB ACCDB Viewer, or MDB Explorer. However, these apps may have some limitations in terms of functionality, compatibility, and performance compared to Access. You may also need to convert your database file to a different format, such as SQLite or CSV, before you can use it with these apps.

Reference: How to run Microsoft Access on a Mac - Parallels Blog

7 Ways To Open Microsoft Access Files on Mac (machow2.com)

How to port an Access database to the Mac? - Super User

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

foodd
Super User
Super User

A suggestion would be to download the Access file from your Dropbox cloud share to your local computer, and then use the Access Connector to import the file as you planned.

foodd_0-1691344400403.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors