Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

buchta
Frequent Visitor

DATAAREAID (ENTITY) filter that applies to embedded Power BI reports

Hi there

I am working in OneBox environment where i design Power BI reports and then deploy them via VS to environment. I use Aggregated Measure and Data Entities with BOYD approach. 
all nice and clean it works but I need to achieve that when a user changes entity (DATAAREAID) in the dynamics.com UI the data will load data belonging to the new selected entity. 

I found a solution that is similar to what I want to achieve BUT. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/fin-ops-core/dev-itpro/analytics/secure-analytical-work...

this is basically Role level security where DAX expression [DATAAREAID]=username()  is applied for every table that has the entity (DATAAREAID) field. 

what is happening in the background is that all data is loaded into the pbi and then the dax filter is applied

this might work for some fact tables in simple star schema but if you have multiple records for the same id, for multiple entities (DARAAREAID) then when loading the data into DATA moded it will fail because the  1:Many relationships will now work anymore as there are no unique records on the 1 site of the relationship. 

... so what i need is to have the filter already happening in the power query in the M not in DAX once it is loaded.. 

in the development, i used a parameter that I would switch between the entities in power query but if i deploy it via onebox and VS there is no way i can switch the parameter as far i know.

anyone that can help ? any idea is welome

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors