Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I link my visuals to a new datasource?

Spoiler

Hi,

I have before now used an offline datasource, located in my local folder. And I have created so many visuals and daxes based on that. 

Now I have changed my datasource to the same Excel file located on Sharepoint. Please how do I link my visuals and daxes to this new datasource? Do I have to create my daxes and visuals afresh? The thought of doing that makes me want to scream. 

1 REPLY 1
MAwwad
Super User
Super User

When you change the location of your data source from a local folder to SharePoint, you will need to update the data source connection in Power BI to point to the new location.

Here are the steps you can take to link your visuals and DAX formulas to the new data source:

1. Open your report in Power BI Desktop.

2. Go to the "Home" tab and click on "Edit Queries" to open the Query Editor.

3. In the Query Editor, click on the "Home" tab and then click on "Change Source"

4. In the "Change Source" dialog box, navigate to the new location of your Excel file on SharePoint and select it.

5. Click on "OK" to update the data source connection in your report.

6. After updating the data source connection, you will need to update the relationships and DAX formulas in your report to point to the new data source.

7. You can check the relationships by going to the "Modeling" tab and select "Manage relationships"

8. Also, you can update the DAX formulas by going to the "Modeling" tab and select "New measure"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors