Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

korebreach
Frequent Visitor

Get value(s) from Power Automate

I have a Power BI report that shows, among other things, a table of workstations at our company.

I also have a Power Automate flow that retrieves data about a computer from Intune, Azure AD, SCCM, etc.

I have a button in Power BI that, when clicked, runs a PA flow, supplying the name of the selected workstation to the PA flow.  I've already successfully created the button, which seems to be working fine.

On selecting a different workstation from the report and pressing the button again, the flow runs again with the new computer as an input to PA.  The flow runs and gathers the info about the new computer.    So far, so good.

Now, once my flow retrieves data about the selected computer, I want to have the Power BI report display the data obtained by Power Automate... somewhere, in some sort of control.  Is this even possible?  This control should only show the PA-retrieved data for the most recent button press.

4 REPLIES 4
asanchez2

Hi, there are some options you can follow to achieve your desired outcome. Here I will share the one I normally use:

Update data source using Power Automate:

• In your Power Automate flow, after processing the data and obtaining the desired values, use the "Update a row" action or a similar action to update the specific row(s) in the data source your Power BI report is connected to.
  • Ensure the update targets the same columns and filters used in the Power BI visuals.
  • Back in Power BI, set the visual data refresh mode to "Direct Query" or "Live Connection" to automatically reflect the updated data from the source.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Aminael

Thanks Aminael.  I'll give this a try!

korebreach
Frequent Visitor

I guess I could have said that all a lot simpler:

I have a button in Power BI that runs a Power Automate flow.  However, I need to return some values from that flow to display on a Power BI report.  Every time the button is pushed, I want Power BI to display the new values that come from Power Automate, discarding the old values.

My guess is that the only way to do this would be to have Power Automate push those values to somewhere else (Dataverse, Excel File, SharePoint, etc.) and then use that "somewhere else" as a data source in Power BI.  However, I want the Power BI report to display the updated data immediately, rather than wait on a scheduled refresh.  Any ideas?

You can do this, you just need to use a datasource to store the data that supports direct query (Dataverse and SQL are the common go-tos) and make sure that your dataset is connecting to the datasource in direct query mode (not import). 

If you are trying to take actions on data and show updates immediately you might consider the Power Apps visual in PBI, too, depending on your use case. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors