Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

nikobland
Regular Visitor

Solution Containing a Power BI Report with Embedded Power App

Hi,

I have a Power BI report with a Power App embedded in it. I would like to use the Solutions functionality to move this from my DEV environment through TEST and PROD.

All of the components can be added to a Solution, but there is no dependency set up between the Power App and Power BI report. When I migrate the solution to TEST, the embedded Power App is the one from DEV. This cannot be easily repointed to the TEST Power App.

How can I ensure that the embedded Power App references the Power App that is in the same solution as the Power BI report?

Thanks.

Nikolas

2 REPLIES 2
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

One option is to utilize environment variables and direct them to the appropriate report in the target environment. The Power Platform ALM will handle the task of directing to the correct dashboard based on the deployment settings file. However, deployment of the Power BI report would require separate attention.

Alternatively, you can include the Power BI report in the Dynamics solution and migrate the entire solution. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to link the report to the current environment. In this case, you would need to add a post-deployment step to update the datasource parameter of the Power BI report to match the current environment.

pavanmanideep
Helper III
Helper III

Hi,

You can embed the Power BI Report in a Power App. Then create an environment variable to store the default value and current value of the report. Using this environment variable, you can set the respective workspace from which report is to be loaded. You can effortlessly deploy the Power BI Reports into respective workspaces for Dev, Test, Prod and deploy the Power Apps to Dev, Test, Prod. Then maintain one environment variable which holds the report value for that environment.

Hope this helps..

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.

If you like my response or got a direction forward to proceed, please give it a Thumbs Up. Appreciate your Kudos. You can accept more than one post as a solution.

Cheers,

PMDY

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.