Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akptech

Scan QR code of products to filter a report

Hi,
I see your Barcode scanner feature works well. Though, QR codes could store more info. What is stopping the scanner to work for both QR codes and barcodes?

/Adam

6 REPLIES 6
Ramerpam

Regarding the scanning of QR codes, the scanner's capabilities are actually dependent on the technology used to build it. While our barcode scanner uses Smart Engines OCR SDK, it may not necessarily support QR codes out of the box. However, it's definitely possible to add QR code scanning capabilities to the scanner. If you're looking for a more comprehensive solution that can handle both barcodes and QR codes, you may want to consider using a different OCR SDK or a different scanner altogether. Some popular OCR SDKs have support for both barcodes and QR codes, and can easily be integrated into your application.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @akptech ,

Yes. As I mentioned before, such an unsupported function has been submitted as an idea, I doubt currently the only thing you could do is to vote it up and hopes Power Bi will implement this in nearby future.

Anyway thanks for your feedback.😀

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Hi Eyelyn Qin,

I have a follow-up question regarding scanning the barcodes from the mobile app. Is there a way for the user of the app to open a report without having a Pro license? Is there a way for the creator of the report to somehow publish the report so that it is free for use by the external user? Any guidance on the subject would be much appreciated 🙂

Kind regards,
Adam

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @akptech ,

Could you tell me if my post helps you a little? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution to make the thread closed. More people will benefit from it.

Hope to hear from you‌‌😀

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Hi Evelyn,

Thanks for looking into my ticket! ^^ 
Your efforts to check if it works are very appreciated.
Unfortunately, the lack of functionality is not quite a solution, yet.

Many thanks for your time,
Adam

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @akptech ,

As the official document said,  you firstly require a Tag barcode fields in Power BI Desktop and then you could use barcode-scan filtering in the mobile apps.

But based on my test, QR code is currently not an available data type in Power BI Desktop:

all available data type.PNG

And as you mentioned, QR code could store more information than Barcode.

So QR code is usually used to get a whole report or dashboard while Baroce is more suitable for getting some particular information to filter.

In this case, using QR code to filter report is currently not supported.

But ideas similar with what you expect has been submitted in the following link, please vote it up and you can add comments:

Product QR Code Scanner like the Barcode Scanner for Mobile Apps

Add filters to QR

Refer to:

Scan a Power BI QR code from your mobile device - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/mobile/mobile-apps-scan-barcode-iphone

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors