Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

bonjourposte
Advocate II
Advocate II

Mapbox not accepting my latitudes and longitudes

Mapbox doesn't seem to be working currently... can anyone confirm? 

I usually import my data from excel and plot the points on a Mapbox circle map, but this time, my lats and longs are coming from SQL (import mode) and there is nothing I can do to get them into the correct field wells.  I drag them over, let go, and they scurry back to the data pane.  Any suggestions or is this a glitch?

P.S. I am currently using the default Bing map, and it has accepted my lats and longs, but I'd prefer Mapbox.

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are they maybe coming over as text values?

SmartSmith
Advocate I
Advocate I

It sounds like you're experiencing a challenge with Tableau and Mapbox integration when trying to plot latitude and longitude data from SQL in import mode. Here are a few suggestions to troubleshoot the issue:

Data Type Matching:

• Ensure that the data types of your latitude and longitude fields in SQL match the expected data types in Tableau. Tableau may have difficulty recognizing the fields if there's a mismatch.

Field Well Placement:

• Make sure you are placing the latitude and longitude fields in the correct Field Wells in Tableau. Typically, Latitude goes in the "Rows" shelf, and Longitude goes in the "Columns" shelf. If you're using Mapbox, you may also need to place the spatial data in the "Detail" shelf.

Check for Null Values:

• Ensure that there are no null or missing values in the latitude and longitude fields. Tableau might struggle with mapping if there are incomplete or missing data.

Mapbox Configuration:

• Verify that your Mapbox configuration is set up correctly in Tableau. Double-check the Mapbox map style, access tokens, and any other settings that might affect the display of your data.

Update Tableau and Mapbox:

• Ensure that you are using the latest versions of both Tableau and Mapbox. Sometimes, issues are resolved with software updates.

Community and Support:

• If the issue persists, consider reaching out to the Tableau community forums or support. Other users may have encountered similar problems and might offer insights or solutions.

Alternative Mapping Options:

• While troubleshooting, you might consider using the default Bing map or other mapping options available in Tableau. This can help you identify whether the issue is specific to Mapbox or if it's a broader mapping integration problem.

Remember to save your work before making significant changes, and consider testing with a sample dataset to isolate the problem. If the problem persists, reaching out to Tableau support or consulting the Tableau community forums for more specific assistance could be beneficial.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Kudoed Authors