Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ymy_30
Frequent Visitor

Does the end user need power bi license to view reports in the mobile app?

Hello all.

To share a power bi reporting to mobile need to have Power Bi Pro license right ? I would like to know if the end user will need any power bi pro license / power bi premium to view the content of the report? Or do not need to have any licensing to open up the reports? 

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gabil
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Today the report needs to be shared via a Power BI app which is hosted on a Premium capacity in order for a free viewer to be able to view it. In the future when we enable direct report sharing this will probably be available also ith using a Power BI App, but still the workspaces of that report will need to be hosted on Power BI Premium capacity.

Thanks,

Gabi

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jontybadamwala

Hello All,

We have published some reports through our Power BI Pro license to 15 users in our org.

Some users who have Power BI Pro license are able to view the published reports shared by us.

Other users who do not have a Pro License assigned to them, are unable to view them.

Can you please help us here?

Thanks

Jayanti Badamwala

Hey @jontybadamwala,

To use the mobile app itself a user does not need any license, just to have an active Power BI subscription.

But your users might need a license, depends on how you shared the reports with them and wherether the reports are kept in premium capacity: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-share-dashboards

Best way is to connect to Power BI from the user's desktop browser (app.powerbi.com) and check if the user can access the reports share with him.

Regards, Maya

Hello Maya,

@mshenhav appreciate the prompt reponse.

I believe i did not share the complete information to recevie your guidance, hence let me try it again.

This is not related to mobile app - sorry for replying to wrong discussion, however it does relate to my query.

We have a Power BI Pro license, where we have published an Executive Report, with various regions as a part of the report. This report is shared with the management of the org. Part of the users have full view access to the complete Exectuive Dashboard, and part of the users have row level secutiry access, based on the region they belong to.

Some users already have a Power BI Pro License, and they are able to view the shared report. 

Users who do not have the Power BI Pro License, are unable to view the shared report.

Our Goal is to ensure, we have security in place for two reason.

1. the employee who we grant access to, should be able to see the report and no one else,

2. they should be able to see the information we want them to review, based on the row level security we have put in place.

Currently, only users with Power BI Pro License are able to view the information. Other users without the PowerBI Pro license are unable to view the report shared. Is it possible they can just view the reports, by logging in using their credential (to which we have provided access at the time of publishing) without having a Power BI Pro License?

Waiting for a prompt response.

Thanks,

Jayanti V Badamwala

Hey @jontybadamwala ,

please go through this article to understand the sharing options you have: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-share-dashboards

Maya

ymy_30
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much Gabi ! 

gabil
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Today the report needs to be shared via a Power BI app which is hosted on a Premium capacity in order for a free viewer to be able to view it. In the future when we enable direct report sharing this will probably be available also ith using a Power BI App, but still the workspaces of that report will need to be hosted on Power BI Premium capacity.

Thanks,

Gabi

I have a pro license and the reports I have publised on the workspace. Does my viewer require any license to view the reports? 

Thanks for you the answer in advance.

Prakash

Hey @pthapa ,

The same license they need to view the reports from the service. 
Free license users can view content published to workspaces on a premium capacity. 
If the reports are published to shared capacity workspace, users need a pro license, 

Thanks, Maya

To use the mobile app itself a user does not need any license, just to have an active Power BI subscription.

But your users might need to have pro license as well, unless the workspace you published the reports to is a premium capacity. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards#prerequisites

Thanks, Maya

Does this apply to viewing reports in the Mobile App as well?

Hi Gabi, what about the web reports? does the end user need to have a license to simply view the report shared?

Hey @buchisar,

No end user license is required for consuimng reports published via Power BI premium.

Maya

Is Power BI Premium per user and Power BI Premium per capacity the same? because in pricing page, i see two different subscriptions. If I subscribe to Power BI Premium per user, can I share my dashboard to any one as a guest or viewer without pro license?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors