Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

flynndolino_chh
Regular Visitor

Can Power BI be integrated in a custom developed PWA (Progressive Web App)?

The developers I am working with are using PWA, and our Manager has heard and seen good things about Power BI for data visualizations. And yes, he thinks both these good things can be combined..which worries me a little because he wants the developed app in PWA to have filters that could also control the data source of the Power BI dashboard that would be combined in this customer app. I think combining Power BI and PWA might be possible, but PWA controlling Power BI's data sources, not so much.

I have done my research, and unfortunately there is little to no mention of combining Power BI in PWA. I even got desperate and went as far as inquiring with ChatGPT. I was told that it can be done using Javascript and display Power BI using iFrame.

I was hoping to hear from someone with experience regarding this matter. This is highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your audience will need a Power BI Pro license or Power BI Free license to interact with a Power BI dashboard embedded in a Progressive Web App (PWA). The license requirement applies regardless of whether the dashboard is published to the web or not. So, if you want your audience to interact with the embedded Power BI dashboard in the PWA, they will need a Power BI Pro or Power BI Free license.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jaweher899
Super User
Super User

It is possible to embed Power BI reports into a Progressive Web App (PWA) using the Power BI API and JavaScript. This can be done using an iFrame and passing the necessary access token to securely display the Power BI report in the PWA. However, it's worth noting that PWA and Power BI have different purposes and architecture, so combining them might lead to a complex solution that is hard to maintain and might not work as smoothly as desired.

Regarding filtering data in Power BI from the PWA, it can be done by passing filters to the Power BI API when calling the report. The API provides options to set filters programmatically, so that the report displayed in the PWA is filtered based on the parameters provided.

Thank you so much for the guidance, @jaweher899 . At least I know where to start now. It's a long shot, but this direction is better than no direction. As soon as we'll be able to come up with a working model from this advice, I will let you know. Thank you so much!

By the way, I'd like to ask, will your advice work if my dashboard is being published to web (so that my audience will no longer need Power BI Pro licenses) or will my audience require licenses for this Power BI and PWA tandem to work? Thanks again.

Your audience will need a Power BI Pro license or Power BI Free license to interact with a Power BI dashboard embedded in a Progressive Web App (PWA). The license requirement applies regardless of whether the dashboard is published to the web or not. So, if you want your audience to interact with the embedded Power BI dashboard in the PWA, they will need a Power BI Pro or Power BI Free license.

Once again, this is very helpful, @jaweher899 . I think you'd also agree that there's really not much articles talking about Power BI imbedded in a developed PWA. Thank god for Power BI Community and the people inside it. 👍

PLease accept my answer if it resolves your issue.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors