Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

"We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model"

Hi @AlexGorev , 

We were in touch about this via email, thanks for your help. Issue reported on March 17, 2020.

On my work machine, I don’t have admin permissions.

I am having issues with using Power BI Desktop app I installed from Microsoft Store (no admin permissions required for this installation).

I built reports in Power BI from Microsoft Store on work machine in the fall 2019 – February 2020. As of last week, I can’t open any of my reports from a work machine. This started right after the latest update to Power BI Desktop. I get the following error.

"We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model"

All my reports are affected.

Here’s the version of Power BI I’m using.

Version: 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (March, 2020)

The issue affects all my reports, on both work desktop machine and work tablet. It started suddenly last week, and the issue wasn’t happening before.

Important: the reports and data are all fine. While using the exact same version of Power BI on my personal home machine, I can open all of my reports. I can open the exact the same reports, with the exact same version of Power BI Desktop from my personal laptop but not from my work machines. Even though I built these reports on work machines.

I’ve tried the following on work machines, nothing helped, I’m desperate:

• Restarting the machines
  • Restarting Power BI
  • Re-installing Power BI
  • Updating policy in command window with gpupdate /force
  • Placing PBIX files on my work local drive, not a shared drive
  • Reaching out to our internal organization IT
  • Installing another version of Power BI, not from Microsoft Store, but from our approved list of software. Software was pushed to my machine by our organization IT
    • I’ve installed the following versions: Oct 2017, Dec 2018
    • Both give the following error. This error is due to the fact that these Power BI versions are too old. "...is incompatible with your current version of Microsoft Power BI Desktop. Please install the latest version and try opening the document again"
    • I can’t pick and choose which version I want to install on my work machine, I can either install the latest version from the Store or some of the older ones available to me as approved by our IT in our software list. I can’t install February 2020 version. It’s not in the Store (only March 2020 is there), and it’s not on our government approved software list either. Our organization software list has a couple of very old versions of Power BI Desktop.

Thank you,

RB

Feedback Type:

Frown (Error)

Error Message:

We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model.

Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Main>b__1()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

InnerException0.Stack Trace Message:

ExecuteXmla failed with result

InnerException0.Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.ExecuteXmla(String xmla)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.<>c__DisplayClass41_0.<ImageLoadDatabaseFromPbix>b__0()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.OnErrorClarify(Action action, String clarification)

InnerException0.Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.GetFeedbackValuesFromException(Exception e, String prefix)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.GetFeedbackValuesFromInnerExceptions(Exception e, Int32 depth)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.CreateAdditionalErrorInfo(Exception e)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception, Nullable`1 stackTraceInfo, String messageDetail)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)

InnerException1.Stack Trace Message:

An external component returned an error (HRESULT = ).

InnerException1.Stack Trace:

InnerException1.Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.GetFeedbackValuesFromException(Exception e, String prefix)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.GetFeedbackValuesFromInnerExceptions(Exception e, Int32 depth)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.CreateAdditionalErrorInfo(Exception e)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception, Nullable`1 stackTraceInfo, String messageDetail)

Comments
ruslan131313
Frequent Visitor

Details:

Feedback Type:

Frown (Error)

Error Message:

Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Main>b__1()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()

Stack Trace Message:

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)

InnerException0.Stack Trace Message:

ExecuteXmla failed with result

InnerException0.Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.ExecuteXmla(String xmla)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.<>c__DisplayClass41_0.<ImageLoadDatabaseFromPbix>b__0()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.OnErrorClarify(Action action, String clarification)

InnerException0.Invocation Stack Trace:

InnerException1.Stack Trace Message:

An external component returned an error (HRESULT = ).

InnerException1.Stack Trace:

InnerException1.Invocation Stack Trace:

Pinoo39
Frequent Visitor

I get the same error on one of my report files
It was working properly and I didn't update power bi, but it started popping this error since last week
@ruslan131313 Any updates?