Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

What-if parameters do not work due to 1002 sampling limit on slicer visual (CRI 115536429)

What-if parameters do not work if there is more than 1002 values in the generated parameter table due to the SAMPLE call of the Slicer visual. This happens in the real world extremely frequently. 

I've seen this marked as by-design which is interesting

We are trying to present this feature to customers, and they are seeing an entered value of say 7.09 change when they exit the field to 7.12

If we limit the parameter table to 1002 values, it's fine of course... but often its a percentage adjustment to 1 decimal place between -100 and 100 that we are working with in what-if scenarios

Please fix!!

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

The response from PG team regarding CRI 115536429: This is currently by design, though we've been discussing a better experience when we're sampling data points. So the feature would be improved in the future. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

deevs
Helper III

It is pretty frustrating that this has been happening over two years and no one from Power BI team bothered to fix it in any updates ☹.

afonsofeliciano
Frequent Visitor

@deevs  I also find it very frustrating, and unfortunately I need an urgent correction, since you use this feature frequently!

deevs
Helper III

Hi afonsofeliciano,

This is my solution and working like charm 😊

In my scenario user had to enter exchange rate value range between 0.0001 and 999999.9999 and it was very challenging to deal with even given the what if was working perfectly. Coz if you generate a sequence with 1 million rows the pibx file size will go from 5 MB to 1GB which is a efficient at all.

My way you can avoid this bug which rounds off weirdly as well as it won’t increase your pibx file size.

I created four what if parameters. In your situation you might be able to get it done with two parameters.

Then I concatenated those four value measures as a text and then converted to a decimal number. I have put a screenshot below. Let me know if it doesn’t work I will share you with a pibx template.

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi deevs

That is inventive! It doesn't look that good for customers though who want to enter a numeric value to have to split that value over four text boxes!

This issue is an embarrassment.

I don't know if anyone in the product team gets how embarrassing it is, when an entered value actually changes, or we need to place work arounds over four or more text boxes.

And then have to explain to customers that simple numeric parameters in Power BI do not work.

If there was ever a basic feature in a product that needed to be fixed, this is it.

sonalimali7
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I am also facing this issue. I did not find any solution to fix this. Any update from Microsoft for it?. It would be great if anybody has a solution.

solobobo

Same here ! It has been 2 years !

Mauriciolv
Frequent Visitor

Hello, 3 years!