Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Unable to configure gateway connections for dataset

Hi,

I am unable to configure gateway connections for dataset for a pbix report uploaded. I have created data source connections prior to uploading the file. All the 23 data sources are on-prem.

When I tried to apply the gateway connections (all have green check marks), I got this error message:

Link0978_0-1670952960704.png

I also noticed this banner. The dataset does not have any cloud data souces:

Link0978_1-1670953073426.png

Edit:

@v-yetao1-msft 

I originally just uploaded the pbix file to the web portal. The file was built using the Power BI Desktop RS Jan 2022 version. Then I tried to open the pbix file in the RS Jan 2022 and published to our P1 capacity-backed workspace. The issue persists.

Then I opened the file in Power BI Desktop Oct 2022 for powerbi.com version. I saved the file and published it again. The issue persists.

Some of the data source connections are also used by other reports without an issue. The other connections were created just for this report.

The connections are consisted of SQL servers and file shares.

We have 2 windows 2016 VMs in a cluster to host the on-prem gateway. Version Aug 2022.

Hi @Link0978 

This issue has been fixed , I will change it to "Delivered" .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
ryanscott14
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I am also experiencing this issue on new and old reports. Even if I try recreating the exact same datasource on the gateway and "switching" to that datasource, the OP's original error msg pops up.

ryanscott14
Frequent Visitor

I also submitted a request under my company's support plan. Will update here as well.

ryanscott14
Frequent Visitor

I have also updated all gateways to the most recent version. It seems to be impacting new and old datasets with the odd old dataset "working" when I try to switch gateways or datasources. I can't really recreate the issue from scratch, seems to almost be random in nature.

felipe_souza
Frequent Visitor

I am also having the same problem when linking the data source in the report. Any palliative or permanent solution to this problem?

ngqth
Regular Visitor

Hi, I have the same problem and so far I can't find any proper solutions. But I managed to connect them back with some workarounds.

So I did a few tests. My team has 3 people using the same gateway to connect to the same folder. So far the problem only happens to me or should I say only to some of my dashboards. The dashboards that won't be affected are the ones with only one 1 data source. And that was the case with all of my co-workers' dashboards, they all have only 1 data source and work perfectly fine.

So what I did was: delete all the data sources inside my broken dashboards and leave only 1 data source.  Then I published that dashboard back to PB Service and reconnected the gateway. It won't show any error, at least in my case. Then on my PB desktop, I add back the rest of the data sources one by one, for each one I add I will publish to Service. The connection will automatically be established you won't have to go back and connect them manually again.

The issue with this approach is I will lose all my measures and extra columns. I strongly advise having a backup ready or using some outside tool to copy the measures across. Unfortunately, my organisation does not allow me to use third-party tools, so I need to create them manually again.

Your case might be different, but I hope this will help.

itpowerbiavi

Same issue. Nothing seems to accept. Keeps responding with no gateway found or gateway not responding.

birknerj
Advocate I

@ngqth, thanks for sharing! At my organization, we've been able to save a copy of the report that's having issues and then disable the load for all but one source in that file. We save the .pbix with the same name, publish to the service, then republish the original with all the sources enabled and that works for us. Still not a great solution, but should be faster than recreating all the relationships, calculated columns, measures, etc.

@Link0978, is there any kind of update you can provide regarding this issue?

Link0978
Regular Visitor

@birknerj 

No changes. We are still having the same issue. We are developing a new version of the report with less data sources. Once it is done, I will try to publish again.

@v-yetao1-msft 

Please assist with the info provided.

crf_ce
Regular Visitor

One solution that worked for some of our dashboards was creating aggregate views in our database with the same column names as the PBI. It may not be optimal or work for all sources but it saved a ton of front end development time.

IrkenCR
Employee

Hello everyone,

Could you please ask the support engineers to reference and add your cases to this internal incident please: 356136950

Thank you,