Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Test as role "not supported" message for composite model *new*

This is a copy of:

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/Test-as-role-quot-not-supported-quot-message-for-co... 

I have created this new one, because the old one seems to be completely ignored, even though it has got a lot of attention.

I have report which uses a composite data model, with a mix between DirectQuery to other Power BI datasets and some imported tables from SQL Server. The model also uses calculation groups, allthough I do not think this is related to the issue.

The data model also has RLS, and I can test this in desktop and it works as intended. 

However, when I publish the report to the service and I want to "test as role", I get the following error message.

daaa_0-1717390984108.png

daaa_1-1717391001845.png

Is this a bug, or is "test as role" really not supported for a composite model?

HI @daaa 

Hi @daaa 

If you use Direct Query connection in Desktop to connect to Semantic model, you will find that in this case, you can't set up RLS in Desktop , which is why you can't use “test as role” function in Service either. 

The only reason you can use “test as role” in Desktop is because you still have imported data in your conforming model.

Or you can consider integrating the data into datamart and setting up RLS in datamart. you can refer to the official documentation below for details.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/datamarts/datamarts-access-control#row-le...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
amyspracklen
Regular Visitor

I cannot accept this as "delivered". This feature must be supported. I can't simply add every table to my main semantic model. The composite model needs to support the ability to see the report as the actual user will see it or it's far too dangerous to use it. I need to be able to ensure the logic works in the actual report that the user will be using. I would request that this be added as without the ability to see how the RLS displays for the user, it's almost impossible to really use composite models. I'm just blindly delivering things to my user community and we are talking executive level users who don't have time do extensive UAT or online sharing with our devlopers to confirm how it's working. I'd appreciate seeing an effort to make this work for us.

daaa
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft RLS can perfectly be set up on the imported tables in the composite model, which is why "show as role" very much should be working.

Please reopen this case since its simply not true that it has been resolved.

Honestly, it rather upsets me that the old thread was ignored by you and your peers for several months, even though it got a lot of attention, and now you are closing this one down without even fully understanding the issue.

Is this really the kind of support we get after investing a lot of money into PowerBI?

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

HI @daaa 

Hi @daaa 

If you use Direct Query connection in Desktop to connect to Semantic model, you will find that in this case, you can't set up RLS in Desktop , which is why you can't use “test as role” function in Service either. 

The only reason you can use “test as role” in Desktop is because you still have imported data in your conforming model.

Or you can consider integrating the data into datamart and setting up RLS in datamart. you can refer to the official documentation below for details.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/datamarts/datamarts-access-control#row-le...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao