Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TOTALYTD measure not working if Calendar is connected via DateKey

I've come across an issue where TOTALYTD doesn't work when a Calendar is connected to the Fact Table via Date Key rather than a Date.

I've replicated the issue in an Excel file but the same issue applies in PBI

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Auy_rL3prGGUiT8m1WzkaXvRjxNN

Interestingly if you create an inactive relationship between the actual Date columns in the Calendar and the Fact Table then the YTD issue resolves itself.  

Comments
mifo123
Advocate I

I also have a similiar issue for the rolling average quick measure.  Despite having a Calendar table with a DateKey the measure does not work after the October update. It however works with other quick measures (incl. YTD).

Udklip.PNG

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@wynhopkins

According to the official document about TOTALYTD Function (DAX), the date parameter should be a column that contains dates. But in your scenario, it is a column with unnique whole numbers which represent different dates.

To get the total YTD in your scenario, we can create a measure using following DAX formula. Before that, we need to create a Year column in the fact table.

SalesYTD_2 = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Fact'[Sales] ),
    FILTER ( ALL ( 'Fact' ), 'Fact'[Date Key] <= MAX ( 'Fact'[Date Key] ) ),
    VALUES ( 'Fact'[Year] )
)

TOTALYTD measure not working if Calendar is connected via DateKey_1.jpg

@mifo123

Have you tried to use the date column in the fact table?

Best Regards,
Herbert

wynhopkins
MVP

Thanks @v-haibl-msft

Yes my measure is created using the Date field and I have created many in the past, but this is the first time I've ever used a DateKey for the "relationship" between the tables.

It does seem odd that the same measure then works as soon as I create an inactive relationship between the 2 date fields in the 2 tables.

TOTAL YTD img1.pngTOTAL YTD img2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

probably ALL(whole date table) should be added as a filter argument of TOTALYTD function:

TOTALYTD(SUM([Sales Value]), 'Calendar'[Date], ALL('Calendar')).

Without this filter clearance it seems that setting any filter context (like Month, Year) filters both fact table and date table. That leads to incorrect YTD calculation. 

wynhopkins
MVP

Hi @Anonymous 

the date table needs to be "marked as a date table " for time intelligence functions to work with a date key