Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sync Slicers is buggy - still filters even after un-selecting

Sync Slicers is buggy in PowerBI Desktop (latest Oct 2018 release) - if you stop syncing, the slicer often still filters the pages it was applied to, even if you untick the boxes on the Sync Slicers properties - very frustrating. If you completely delete the synced slicer, it still applies (which is even worse)!

Further details at https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Problems-with-Slicers-after-using-option-quot-Sync-Slicers-... and https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Filter-remains-after-removing-Synced-Slicer-from-a-page-wit...

You can work around this (and prove its effect) by copying the visuals to another page tab where they will work (fortunately). This demonstrates the fact that there's still a hidden slicer on the page. This is a serious bug, wasting time and putting people off. Should be easy to test and fix at HQ though 🙂 

Phil

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@TickboxPhil,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 88445324. Will post back once I get any updates.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Accepted

TickboxPhil
Advocate IV

Excellent, thank you Lydia, look forward to resolution!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@TickboxPhil,

I got response from PG:

"This is by design. Unchecking the sync box just means that any future selections won't be synced."

Regards,
Lydia

TickboxPhil
Advocate IV

Your "by design" is bad design - as described clearly by the users on the links provided, not just myself.

When unchecking the sync box, as well as removing the slicer, it should remove it's filters otherwise any visualisation is stuck and permantently corrupt.

But never mind, thought we could help your QA - never mind, as long as your dev team are happy 🙂 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@TickboxPhil,

Currectly, you can only manually clear the selection of manually delete the slicers. You can submit a feature request in Power BI ideas forum.

Regards,

Lydia

TickboxPhil
Advocate IV

When clearing a synced slicer, it should also remove it's filters from visualisations. Fact. But if your team still consider this as a feature request not a bug, no problem (but won't be wasting my time doing that), we all have more important things to do.

kflannery

Whether this idea a "bug" or a "feature," I ran in to the problem because the underlying slicer was not syncing pages correctly. So not only did slicers not sync across pages, but then also had to find a workaround to get rid of the deleted synced slicers that were still being applied.  (Sync has worked on other projects in the past for me but not on this one, so I feel like I am coming from a place of experience.)

I suspect my underlying sync problem has to do with the fact that I was trying to sync an ordered list when I hadn't done that in the past.

Would love to see some more thought/functionality put into the sync features as the idea is a great one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Sync Slicer's making my Task very difficult,

I have Applied sync slicer and those again changing to the other page by using book marks ,those slicer are coming on that page then i have unchecked view (Eye symbol) and saved then again the process is repating.

Please find the Attached :sync slicer 1.JPGsync slicer 2.JPG

tried multiple options but not working. 

AWentzEco
Frequent Visitor

This is extremely frustrating trying to re-do slicers, making modifications/removing previous syncs. Thought I was doing something wrong BUT apparently NOT. Nothing like having to re-do pages because SLICERS AND SYNC do not work as you would think causing LOTS of re-work!!!! This is a glitch.