Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Small bug: Concatenate labels OFF only working after re-sorting by date

Hey there!

I think I found a small bug in the "concatenate labels" feature. When your data is not concatenated at first, switching the axis "concatenate labels" OFF will not un-concatenate them. Only when re-sorting by date will the un-concatenation start working.

Here is a GIF that shows what I mean: 

jaap_olsthoorn_0-1646828028676.gif

 In this gif you see that I start with concatenated labels. Switching off the concatenation does nothing, but then flipping the sort order of the graph will apply the concatenation change.

Hi , @jaap_olsthoorn 

From your sample , I found a problem that the date hierarchy is customized by yourself . Concatenate labels does not work when you apply it to custom date hierarchy .When you apply it to the regular date ,like [OpnameDatum] , Concatenate labels will work normally . You can have a try . Through the above test, I think that this function only works on default dates with a time hierarchy .

Ailsamsft_0-1647502666525.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn 

I tested the function in my Desktop , and when I turn on the concatenate labels , the contents of the X axis are displayed hierarchically. If I turn off this feature, it will show all content of the date. As shown in the screenshot:

veasonfmsft_0-1646895411282.png

veasonfmsft_1-1646895411288.png

The version of my Desktop is February 2022 , if your version is not the latest one , you can update it to the latest one ,then try the function again .

veasonfmsft_2-1646895411290.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Interesting! I found that this bug is more complex than it seems! If you were to remove "Month" from your hierarchy (so you are left with year, quarter, date), you should see that the concatenate labels feature stops working on your version as well (make sure month is not part of the hierarchy before you drill down into year). I made another video:

Concatenate labels bug v2.gif

 I think I'm running into this problem more than other people is because we use weeks, and we do not use months to group our data. Adding Months to the hierarchy seems to fix the feature.

I am running the latest version by the way 🙂

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn 

I may not have a way to fully restore your scenario to test your question . Could you share us with your pbix file(remove sensitive info) ? If it is confirmed to be a bug, I will submit it to ICM for processing.

Best Regards,

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Here's an example file, like it says in the file, sort the graph by the date hierarchy again to see it flip from concatenated to non-concatenated labels, without touching the concatenation setting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XcVgjqjADp0MNF6C1jNvjLz-BuDTEjiu/view?usp=sharing

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi , @jaap_olsthoorn 

From your sample , I found a problem that the date hierarchy is customized by yourself . Concatenate labels does not work when you apply it to custom date hierarchy .When you apply it to the regular date ,like [OpnameDatum] , Concatenate labels will work normally . You can have a try . Through the above test, I think that this function only works on default dates with a time hierarchy .

Ailsamsft_0-1647502666525.png

Best Regards,

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

I'm sure it does, but as we are taught by the powerbi guru's, my auto date/time is set to off, so there is no hierarcy in the opnamedatum.

Anyway, did you look into the difference when adding month to your hierarchy? That's where the real bug reveals itself. Once you add month to your custom hierarchy, it suddenly does work without having to re-sort.