Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Series Data Colors Changing Upon Publish

Hello,

I'm experience a bug where data series colors in cluster bar charts, pie charts, etc. are changing (seemingly at random) upon publishing into the Service.

Sometimes the colors are simply switched around, other times Power BI actually assigns two series values to the same color.

Below is an example, created using the sample "Financials" dataset.

ebeery_0-1658264603884.png

ebeery_2-1658264631528.png

Currently this is by design, and is something we're looking at changing.

See: Change the color of all data points 

There are certain circumstances where Power BI will change the legend (and data) colors. One example is when your visual is created using streaming data, a new month begins, and a new category is introduced into your visual. Let's say that you've set the data colors for all five categories in the line chart above. And now it's Jan-13 and another manufacturer has entered the market. Because you did not set a data color for that new manufacturer, you may find that Power BI has changed the data colors for the original five manufacturers. When a new category is introduced, you may have to reassign data colors to the new and existing categories using the Formatting > Data colors pane.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Have submited this issue internal to confirm(ICM: 321678599), would update here as soon as possible if there is any progress about it.

Best Regards,

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Currently this is by design, and is something we're looking at changing.

See: Change the color of all data points 

There are certain circumstances where Power BI will change the legend (and data) colors. One example is when your visual is created using streaming data, a new month begins, and a new category is introduced into your visual. Let's say that you've set the data colors for all five categories in the line chart above. And now it's Jan-13 and another manufacturer has entered the market. Because you did not set a data color for that new manufacturer, you may find that Power BI has changed the data colors for the original five manufacturers. When a new category is introduced, you may have to reassign data colors to the new and existing categories using the Formatting > Data colors pane.

Best Regards,

ebeery
Solution Sage

@v-yingjl I'm sorry, but I guess I just don't see how randomly re-assigning multiple series to the same color can possibly be "by design"?

This makes chart types such as clustered column and pie essentially unsuable, and seems like a clear bug to me.

ebeery_1-1658749406885.png

ebeery
Solution Sage

@v-yingjl to elaborate more, here's another example with the "Financials" sample dataset.

This is not streaming data, a new month has not begun, and no new categories have been introduced to the dataset.  I simply have created the visual in PBI desktop as pictured below, published it to Power BI Service, and immediately the colors have changed.  As you can see, it has assigned the same color to two different slices of the pie.

ebeery_1-1658834158197.png

ebeery_2-1658834177425.png