Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sequence contains no matching element

Greeted this morning with data refresh errors.

I went into Power Query and removed the offending step (so I thought).

Clicked "Close and Apply" and the query:

- Evaluated

- Loaded data to the model

- Just about the time the final row count was reached and I thought I was good, I wasn't and received "Sequence contains no matching element" error message.

Details below.

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2021-03-01T15:16:17.2149763Z

Local Time:
2021-03-01T10:16:17.2149763-05:00

Session ID:
a836989a-db78-4186-84ab-8a84fa8d0d89

Release:
February 2021

Product Version:
2.90.782.0 (21.02) (x64)

Stack Trace:
System.InvalidOperationException
at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.PowerQueryToModelLoader.GetFailedQueriesFromException(IEnumerable`1 tableInputs, IExtendedModelChangeScope modelChangeScope, OperationException asOperationException)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.PowerQueryToModelLoader.ApplyQueriesToModel(ILoadResultEvaluationProgressProvider evaluationProgressProvider, IExtendedModelChangeScope modelChangeScope, Action`1 beforeSchemaSyncCallback, Action`1 afterSchemaSyncCallback, Boolean& runRelationshipDetection, List`1& newTableColumnPairs, HashSet`1& existingTableInputs)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.PowerQueryToModelLoader.ProcessLoadInputs(IRelationshipLoader relationshipLoader, IExtendedModelChangeScope modelChangeScope, Action`1 beforeSchemaSyncCallback, Action`1 afterSchemaSyncCallback)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.PowerQueryToModelLoader.<>c__DisplayClass20_0.<PerformLoadInternal>b__0(IExtendedModelChangeScope modelChangeScope)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Authoring.AsyncModelAuthoringService.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<RunExtendedModelChangeAsync>b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.ContinuationResultTaskFromResultTask`2.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Common.TaskExtensions.WaitAndUnpackException(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.PowerQueryToModelLoader.PerformLoadInternal(IRelationshipLoader relationshipLoader, IModelAuthoringChangeScopeProvider authoringChangeScopeProvider, IModelingQueryServices queryServices, Action`1 beforeSchemaSyncCallback, Action`1 afterSchemaSyncCallback, IRefreshPolicyUpdater refreshPolicyUpdater, Boolean skipImpactAnalysisWarning)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.PowerQueryToModelLoader.<>c__DisplayClass19_0.<PerformLoadAsync>b__3()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.<>c__DisplayClass8_0`1.<<RunInAsyncActivity>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.<RunInAsyncActivity>d__7.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.<RunInAsyncActivity>d__8`1.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.LoadToReportFlow.<PerformLoadToAnalysisServices>d__34.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.LoadToReportFlow.<ExecuteInternal>d__29.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.LoadToReportFlow.<Execute>d__28.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.ModelingEngine.<LoadModelAsyncInternal>d__11.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.<>c__DisplayClass8_0`1.<<RunInAsyncActivity>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.<RunInAsyncActivity>d__7.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.<RunInAsyncActivity>d__8`1.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingService.<LoadToModel>d__16.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FloatingDialog.KoLoadToReportDialog.<>c__DisplayClass34_0.<<StartLoadToReportFlow>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.90.782.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.PowerQueryToModelLoader","Error":"System.InvalidOperationException","MethodDef":"GetFailedQueriesFromException","ErrorOffset":"216"}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.17763.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461814]

Peak Virtual Memory:
38.6 GB

Private Memory:
771 MB

Peak Working Set:
993 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
bb809431-615a-4261-8d8f-f094a2a3f7b9

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Import

Model Version:
PowerBI_V3

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_NewWebTableInference
PBI_ExcelTableInference
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_eimInformationProtectionForDesktop
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_dataPointLassoSelect
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_narrativeTextBox
PBI_dynamicParameters
PBI_anomalyDetection
PBI_newFieldList
PBI_cartesianMultiplesAuthoring

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_JsonTableInference
PBI_ImportTextByExample

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I couldn't reproduce the error, try to uninstall and reinstall power bi desktop to see if it works well.

and if still have problem, please the trace log for the power bi desktop.

Regards,

Lin

cmengel
Advocate II

Actions taken since this was posted yesterday:

- I downgraded Power BI Desktop to December 2020 version

This allowed me to make modifications to the query and NOT get the "Sequence... " error message.

- Modified the problem query clicked "Apply & Close" and refresh completed successfully

- Upgraded Power BI Desktop back to Feb 2021 version

- Refreshed data model with no issues and successfull published to workspace.

This item is closed for me.  Still not sure exactly what happened here.  I know there were some underlying ETL changes happening with the data sources and that likely contributed to the issues in some way.  Those processes completed successfully overnight.

themew
Advocate I

I also tried uninstalling the latest version of Power BI, then reinstalling an earlier version (Dec 2020) and the error went away. 

FrederikBisback
Regular Visitor

Where can I find an older version of the Power BI desktop software? 

Found them: Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

FrederikBisback
Regular Visitor

Downgrading solved my issue. 

JonSwed
Advocate II

Reverting to the December version solved this.

datamomgit
Frequent Visitor

As it turns out, my issue was that one of my datasets was bringing back two rows for a field that should be unique.  I wonder why I don't see that specific error message anymore in the February 2021 version of PBI desktop.  I sure wasted a lot of time chasing the wrong issue.  

niravd1992
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

Facing the same issue. Any suggestions on how to downgrade desktop version. When I try, it says file incompatible. It has no feature of the new update used.

datamomgit
Frequent Visitor

I did not end up downgrading.  I am still on the February 2021 version.  That error message was a red herring.  Instead of getting the usual, specific error message that I had duplicate rows for columns that are used as the primary key, I received that  "Sequence contains no matching element" error message.  I'm wondering if other specific messages are spewing that misleading error message.

vincentnoot
Resolver I

I'm also receiving this error. When I downgrade, it says file incompatible. I deleted every relationship in my data model to make sure it wouldn't be the thing throwing errors, but that didn't work either. The query loads fine within the query editor, but as soon as I apply it gives me the "Sequence contains no matching element" error along with "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Any ideas on how to fix?