Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Selecting bookmark resets filter/selection on other tables

I have two bookmarks, one to show a summary table and one to show a detail table. If a user selected an item on the summary table, and then clicked the bookmark to show the detail table, it would filter to show details relevant to that selection.

I noticed that since the new versions of the desktop AND the service, this no longer works, and hiding the summary table will result in resetting the view for the detail table. Both bookmarks have their "data" option unticked.

I reverted back to the August 2018 version of powerbi desktop and this functionality is back, but when I publish to the service, it still has lost this function. I have not seen anyone mention this, but it does not seem like it is an intended change.

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@jlinhenley,

I am unable to reproduce this issue in Power BI August 2018 version. Could you please share a PBIX file containing dummy data here or post screenshots about your scenario?

Generally, drill-trough filter or sync slicers can pass selection from one page to another page. Bookmark can't achieve the requirement you have described.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

jlinhenley
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I specifically mentioned that the August version DOES NOT have this issue. It will not let me attach pbix file here but the way to reproduce is very easy.

Create a 2 tables one showing all the data, and one a summaraized data. Create a bookmark to hide the summaraized table, and make sure the DATA option is unchecked.

When you select an item on the summarized table, it filters the rows in the detail table as expected. When you click on the bookmark, in the AUGUST version, the detail table still maintains the filtered rows, even though the summarized table is hidden. in the LATEST version, this does not work. The detail table shows all the rows as soon as the summarized table is hidden. This is also true in the powerbi SERVICE.

jlinhenley
Frequent Visitor

Step 2Step 2Step 3Step 3Step 1Step 1

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@jlinhenley,

Could you please upload the PBIX file to OneDrive and post the shared link of the PBIX file here? I make a  test in 2.61.5192.601 64-bit (August 2018), when I click the Hide button, the detailed table is not filtered.

Regards,
Lydia

jlinhenley
Frequent Visitor

Do you have an email I can send the pbix to? We do not allow file sharing in our organization.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@jlinhenley,

I have sent you a Private message.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@jlinhenley,

It is an expected behavior that clear any selections the visual is applying when it is hidden.  The behavior that filter/selection retains after selecting bookmarks is a defect of previous versions of Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

LianneW

I have the same problem, it their an update on this topic?

Katharina710
Regular Visitor

I also need to keep the selection of a row in a table while using bookmarks to change the shown objects but to keep the selected row. 

Is there an update?